Exhaust tips...how to clean rust/soot

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I have an aftermarket exhaust on my G35 (stillen TD cat-back) and the tips look like crap. How do I clean them without scratching the stainless steel/aluminum finish?

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hey Joe have you tried something like spray nine,or ever green(or whatever it's called) maybe even diluted slightly and a mircofiber cloth. I used to have one solely for cleaning my exhaust but I also would spend time polishing my tips with chrome polish, I guess that's just me though.

D-Maxima
Car: HSV VQ Statesman 5000i

i use a chrome polish on my exhaust tips, it works well, gets all the soot of and shines them up nicely

dusred
Car: Previous Q45 owner, 09 Corolla, Ford F250 Diesel truck

"Mother's Polish" is your friend .

Also try some Turtle Wax "Chrome Polish" . . . that aught to put a nice finish coat on it.

naladude911
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I used steel wool, and 5000grit sandpaper.

dusred
Car: Previous Q45 owner, 09 Corolla, Ford F250 Diesel truck

naladude911 wrote:I used steel wool, and 5000grit sandpaper.
If you're not careful steel wool will really screw the chrome over and make it rust. That is powerfull stuff, go easy with it.

david borla

Hi,

This is David Borla from Borla Exhaust (www.borla.com).

As most of you know, Borla Exhaust has been designing and manufacturing high performance, aftermarket exhaust systems that carry a million mile warranty for over 3 decades. One of the reasons we have been able to stand behind our products with such a powerful warranty for so many years is because we have always and will continue to exclusively use austenitic stainless steel in the manufacture of our exhaust systems.

While this material lasts over a million miles and will not rust, the exhaust systems from which this material is made will build up dirt, engine residue and other unwanted impurities over time that dull the finish.

Through the years we have received many requests for a cleaner/polish that restores the finish of a Borla exhaust to the way it was when it was new but we were unable to find one that worked especially well with the austenitic stainless steel used in Borla products. The metal polishes on the market were designed to work with many different types of metal and therefore did not do the best job possible on austienitic stainless steel.

After years of testing, Borla has finally developed an exhaust cleaner/polish that is specifically designed to work on stainless steel exhaust components for cars, motorcycles, boats, trucks etc.

Exhaust systems deal with specific elements like heat cycling, condensation, oxidation etc. that create unwanted affects to the material which are specific to exhaust. Borla's new polish is designed ONLY to counteract these affects and as a result performs better for this purpose than anything else available.

This product was awarded best new product at the 2008 SEMA show

For more information please see this link http://www.borla.com/products/polish.aspx

Cheers

db

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hey David -

Tell Chris to get back in touch!

Thanks, and welcome aboard.

morsecode
Car: 2004 Infiniti I35

david borla wrote:Hi,

This is David Borla from Borla Exhaust (www.borla.com).

As most of you know, Borla Exhaust has been designing and manufacturing high performance, aftermarket exhaust systems that carry a million mile warranty for over 3 decades. One of the reasons we have been able to stand behind our products with such a powerful warranty for so many years is because we have always and will continue to exclusively use austenitic stainless steel in the manufacture of our exhaust systems.

While this material lasts over a million miles and will not rust, the exhaust systems from which this material is made will build up dirt, engine residue and other unwanted impurities over time that dull the finish.

Through the years we have received many requests for a cleaner/polish that restores the finish of a Borla exhaust to the way it was when it was new but we were unable to find one that worked especially well with the austenitic stainless steel used in Borla products. The metal polishes on the market were designed to work with many different types of metal and therefore did not do the best job possible on austienitic stainless steel.

After years of testing, Borla has finally developed an exhaust cleaner/polish that is specifically designed to work on stainless steel exhaust components for cars, motorcycles, boats, trucks etc.

Exhaust systems deal with specific elements like heat cycling, condensation, oxidation etc. that create unwanted affects to the material which are specific to exhaust. Borla's new polish is designed ONLY to counteract these affects and as a result performs better for this purpose than anything else available.

This product was awarded best new product at the 2008 SEMA show

For more information please see this link http://www.borla.com/products/polish.aspx

Cheers

db
I've been waiting for these companies to finally come up with a product to clean exhaust tips.

I use "Mother's Polish" on mine.

lil_ben_2020
Car: 240sx

joe603 wrote:I have an aftermarket exhaust on my G35 (stillen TD cat-back) and the tips look like crap. How do I clean them without scratching the stainless steel/aluminum finish?
USE break clean and a green scratch pad will work easy

murda-c
Car: 1996 s14

Soap and water, followed by a powerball with some aluminum/mag polish on it, followed by soap and water again.

infinitiandbeyond
Car: 2007 M35x

I also have a Stillen exhaust. FINE steel wool will do the trick.

Return to “Detailing Forum”