Exhaust Systems for a NA 2+2?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
GranAutismo
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX N/A

So ive done A LOT of research on exhaust systems for my NA 300zx 2+2. Its a project so i got new headers as they both have a 1inch hole on each side. The car came with a Greddy cat back (the inside is rusted) and some test pipes/mid pipes. I really want to get a dual tip exhaust or a quad tip but many of the exhaust systems are for the TTs or 2 Seaters. Will the TT exhausts fit the NA as long as the TT is a 4 Seater? or will i strictly need a exhaust only for the NA 4 seater? Also, comment below good exhausts for the NA 2+2. I would like to make my car loud but not too loud to where its raspy and making my ears bleed :) With the car being almost 30 years, I can pass emissions here in Texas so i can basically do whatever i want with it. HUGE thanks in advance! :biggrin:

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

1. All 2+2 exhausts will fit they are different from the 2+0 but I dont remember if all portions are different or just the muffler section (I know the muffler section is different for sure.
2. Make sure you maintain the diameter all the way through the system or install stepdown midpipes (ie 2.5" to 2.25") with a smooth transition. Changing diameter at flange unions will create unwanted turbulence which will rob power (the power loss likely wont be noticeable) and may result in some funky rasp frequencies.
3. With an NA you will want an exhaust that has a resonated axle section or you will have rasp and it will be quite a bit louder.
4. I wouldn't recommend going bigger than 2.5" for the NA, 2.25 is ideal for a daily driver

I don't know of any twin tip 2+2 systems off hand that are under $1k, check Z1, CZP, and SpecialtyZ for the selection. Your other option is ebay but some ebay exhaust have terrible fitment and its usually a crapshoot. Thew Megan racing exhausts used to be really bad but have gotten a little better through the years.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

All NA test pipes and h/x pipes are interchangeable only the axle back muffler sections differ to accommodate the extra length and gas tank shape of the 2+2. In addition JDM TT test pipes also fit NA because they use a shorter down pipe than the USDM pre cat (down pipes).

WillChad#78
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX Z32 NA 2+2 Coupe 5-Speed.
3.0L V6 24V DOHC 97,000 Miles. I'm the second owner. I bought the Car from my Personal Lawyer whom bought it new with seven miles on it.

I went to NAPA and got the Left and Right mufflers with the pipe routing too. Bosal i think was the name due to Nissan not Manufacturing "OEM" Exhaust anymore. I remember the Left side was $20 more than the Right. The Hangers and Rubber dampener's fit perfectly just like the "OEM" Exhaust

WillChad#78
3.0L V6 24V DOHC 97,000 Miles. I'm the second owner. I bought the Car from my Personal Lawyer whom bought it new with seven miles on it.

NolimitZ32,
Thank you for the exhaust information. Nissan no longer makes 2+2 300ZX Z32 exhaust.
Heres's my current exhaust setup, factory exhaust manifolds, X-Pipe, 24" Flow master Resonator's ×2 & NAPA, BOSAL just like the factory rear exhaust. Round mufflers separate left an right and the hangers and silencers fit perfect. Two tips per muffler. The left was $14.00 more I'm assuming due to the fuel hose routing to the tank? I just ordered and received a (WALKER RESONATOR). So the two Resonator's need to go forward or rear? Due to these cars being true dual's the two Resonator's are welded together. If I remove the X-Pipes in favor of a lower sounding H-Pipe then connect the H-Pipe to the dual Resonator's then connect them to the two, "left and right" factory mufflers then then car shouldn't be as raspy and high pitched like now. The two factory mufflers (BOSAL) and the (WALKER) Resonator's that are welded together are also 2".

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

In the factory setup the resonator box goes where the H/X pipe lives, its the axleback section. I would imagine that your H/X crossover is closer to the differential than to the muffler sections. If that's the case the resonators are usually fitted after the crossover section. Talk to a knowledgeable exhaust shop if you have the opportunity, sound engineering is a whole profession and generally good exhaust builders have the experience to make a recommendation.

WillChad#78

On my rusted factory "OEM" 2+2 from the exhaust manifold was two cars piping then the Resonator Triangle then the separate left and right mufflers. Now I'm removing the x pipe and installing an h pipe no cats then the new "walker" Nissan type Resonator's are welded side by side nothing like oem. Then the Resonator's attach to the bosal left and right mufflers. Go to Rock Auto and search for 300ZX Z32 Resonator's. NAPA for the round exact oem mufflers. The resonator's are now welded side by side.
1: NAPA will get you BOSAL left and right mufflers with piping.
2: Rock Auto will get you the resonator's and exhaust manifolds down to the threaded holes for your exhaust sensors. Up stream left and right.

Hope this help's you out!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”