Exhaust pipe original size?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
peet
Car: Datsun Roadster

I will try this winter to fit a CA18 DET into my roadster, but I have some questions who you guys can answer I guess.
What is the original size of the exhaust pipe under the car and does the tranny have a sender for the speedo gauge.
And what is the original size of the inter-cooler, and give a larger cooler more power?
Thank you for the answers.
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Hi! I've revised your thread title. I think your post should be in the roadster forum.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I think the stock exhaust is 2", IIRC, but this was done for noise suppression more than anything. Opening the exhaust up on the stock CA gains quite a bit of power. For a completely stock CA, I would say 2.5" should be fine, or 2" if you're not running any catalytic converters or restrictive resonators or muffler.

The transmission uses an electric speedometer signal. It's near the tail of the transmission, facing out on the same side as the clutch slave.

The stock intercooler is WAY undersized, even on a completely stock CA. Using a larger intercooler is always a good idea. Given the size constraints you're working with inside the roadster, I would say to fit the largest intercooler you can. It's not likely you're going to be able to fit a very large intercooler, and I doubt you're planning on making gobs of power, so that setup should work fine, and not create a lot of lag. Another option is to fit a liquid to air intercooler. They can keep the piping runs MUCH shorter, and give you a lot more flexibility on where to place the radiator and what size it can be. I use liquid to air intercoolers on all of my turbocharged vehicles.

peet

Thank you for your information, I want to use it without catalytic converters or restrictive resonators.
I saw the liquid to air inter-coolers but didn't understand the working, are these better or cheaper.
Does it matter if you place it high or low in the car before the cooler.

float_6969

Not nessicarily better, it depends on a lot of variables, but for the most part, IMHO, they're better for a road car. That being said, they're not as simple and there's a lot of work that goes into designing one that works properly.

It doesn't matter where it sets in the car.

peet

Another thing, I am busy with the oil-filter adapter, in Europe it's water-cooled, but the size is to big for me so the question is, can I take this peace of material out of the engine and replace it for a 3/16 thread to put directly a oil-filter on top of the engine.

This is the filter cooler

And this the engine with the strange flange.

float_6969

No. You'll have to find a non-oil cooled oil filter adapter to bolt in it's place. If you need one, I have one and I would be willing to trade for your oil cooled version. You don't have enough posts to PM me, so just email me r boat w right at hot mail dot com.

peet

Can you send me a picture of that adapter?

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”