exhaust note/insurance cost??

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
inlovewiththenewex
Car: nissan...for now

im thinking about buying this car as my new car. its between this, the rdx, or the fx. does anyone have any clips of the ex35's exhaust note?

also, how much does insurance cost for this car?

thanks.

EX-lover
Car: Infiniti EX 35

I was shopping rdx and ex too, but picked EX instead. EX has better interrior trim and more horsepower. RSX was my last car, RDX gives me a taller RXS feeling, so RDX couldn't surprise me, not like EX.

The only thing i like about RDX is the room inside the car, very practical.

FX is a different price range for me, so i didn't even consider. I think there is a new FX coming out soon.

espressomac
Car: Audi Cabriolet

We looked at the FX and RDX as well and have only good things to say about them. In the end it was about size vs. practicality vs. coolness. (you can see our car purchase journey website:

http://web.mac.com/etorres/New....html

The FX was too big for what we were looking for.

The RDX was about the right size and has more practical space than the EX35. The 4-cylinder turbo engine delivers 240 horsepower but it seems the turbo only kicks in at high revolutions so you're not going to feel the full power starting from zero. I did wonder why Acura didn't equip the RDX with a 6-cylinder option, but I guess they didn't want to cannibalize sales from the MDX.

The EX35 is definitely more confined inside. But it's way, way cooler and the technology/gadgets are heads and shoulders above what the RDX offers. The 6-cylinder engine in the EX35 gives you 297 horsepower from the get go. Surprisingly the Acura's gas mileage is rated at 17 mpg city/22 mpg highway while the EX35 RWD is rated at 17 and 24. Go figure.

Insurance cost: We got ours a week ago and have it insured with Geico. $394 for six months and $1000 deductible.

rushmdat23
Car: 08 EX35 / 08 335xi

Deciding between the EX FX and RDX you need to determine what you plan on doing with the vehicle. If you want to tow a trailer (boat, car, wave runners etc) pass on the EX, not rated for towing. You can get a hitch as described here on the site, but thats mostly for bike carrier etc. The FX also is larger, heavier and has worse gas milage. RDX feels roomier inside, expecially the back seat; getting 4 adults in the EX can be tight, but is easily possible for short trips, so if you plan on having 4 quite a bit, again maybe the RDX. If you like a cockpit type feel where you slip in and feel like the car "fits" you then the EX is perfect. (30 seconds after my wife sat in one, she said "I want )Regarding the exhaust note, it is muted compared to the FX. The FX has a distinct growl much like my prior G35 coupe; i really miss it with the EX as I traded it in. But the exhaust is not silent, more like that on the G35 sedan.As for insurace cost, that depends on way too many factors like driving record, deductable, zip code, and coverage. I think I pay in the neigborhood of $600 for 6 months with Allstate platinum near max coverage amounts, new vehicle replacement, 500 deducatble and all the trimmings.Hope that helps

Barry Zack

Rush,

You are not correct. The trailer hitch that is available for the EX35 is a Class I, that is rated for 2000lbs. gross trailer weight and 200lbs. tonque weight. It is not just for carrying bikes. We are talking a small boat, utility and ect.

Zack

rushmdat23
Car: 08 EX35 / 08 335xi

I'm sure the hitch can handle towing. I was referring to the vehicle itself as I recall I read in the owners manual that towing is not recommended. I may be wrong.

Barry Zack

Rush,

I was pointing out that the Class I hitch is not just for bikes. You can tow a small boat / utility trailer.

The real world knows that a 4000lb. 110" wheel base rear wheel drive car with 300HP can tow a Class I trailer very nicely.

Zack

Jon_
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

USAA is kind enough to classify the ex as a "wagon" which means lower insurance rates than the RDX which they told me is an SUV by their system.

LEXA

Barry Zack wrote:Rush,

You are not correct. The trailer hitch that is available for the EX35 is a Class I, that is rated for 2000lbs. gross trailer weight and 200lbs. tonque weight. It is not just for carrying bikes. We are talking a small boat, utility and ect.

Zack
I wasn't aware that there is a hitch that has been rated or is being marketed specifically for the EX, although I know some people have installed hitches on their own.

Is it already available through Infiniti?

I had intended to do a Class II just for my road bike rike, but if what you're saying is true, then I might as well do a Class I. A Flying Scot with it's trailer is about 1200-1300 lbs IIRC but I don't know about the torque weight - alas, I don't even know what that is! ;-)

It sounds like you're saying the EX could actually handle something that heavy after all?

Barry Zack

LEXA,

I think that the EX35 Marketing people made a Big Mistake by not offering a towing package. There are even some here on the Forum that think that the EX35 cannot tow anything. The EX35 is a great vehicle for towing a Class I trailer. Class I covers a large number of trailers that we use today. See below.

http://www.drawtite-hitches.co...11500

Zack

stumacp
Car: EX35 Journey with leather, technology, premium packages

Re exhaust note - a bit sad that the EX is less throaty than the G, but we can live with it.

We got a quote on insurance and it didn't change a nickel from the coverage of our Nissan X Trail (this is Canada folks) which i found surprising and delightful!!

chichi
Car: 2088 EX 35 Journey
2011 G37S Limited Edition Convertible

For what it's worth my insurance Co. categorized the EX35 as wagon and as I understand it this saved me money.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Hey Lexa,

It's supposed to be "tongue weight" (not tonque or torque) - this is how much downforce there is at the hitch, when the trailer is loaded and attached to the vehicle.

HTH,David

RBinWeHo
Car: 2008 EX 35

I replaced a BMW X3 with my EX35 and my insurance cost has decreased.

allthatjazz
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx EX35 Tech

My insurance indicated that the EX is classified as a wagon, so I saved on my insurance. Insurance actually worked out to be less than the RDX.

robreimer
Car: EX35/350Z

Looking for some one who has a hitch installed on the EX35. I installed a draw tite hitch and instantly developed a very annoying exhaust rumble when the car is fully heated up and accelerating through the lower speed range. I removed the hitch and the rumble went away. reinstalled the hitch an its back!!!! I t appears from the experimenting that I have done that the hictch is causing a hot strip across the muffler and causing the noise. Any one hear of this

Bob

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”