Exhaust Issues...

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Spilk188
Car: '95 Mazda Protege, RIP'85 Maxima GL'RIP

Before I get to my problem, I sould probably explain my entire situation with my Maxima. Here it goes...

My mom had an '85 Maxima that she stopped driving when the transmission broke about 7 years ago. It sat without moving or starting for the better part of seven years. I turn 15, my mom decideds I can have the old car if I fix it and do most of the labor on it, they would help me with parts and stuff.

I am so excited I wash it, clean out the interior (leather is horribly sun damaged) and the carpet is stained (i think we had a family of mice living in it at one time or something). Well my step-dad helps me and we determine that the fuel pump is dead. So we went to our local junk yard (the kind where you do the labor and they sell the parts dirt cheap) and pick up a new one. We get the fuel system cleaned out, new fuel filter ect. We even popped off the gas tank and cleaned out the cruddy 7 year old gas (which had formed a sticky gassy smelling mess). When we were removing the gass tank we took the exhaust pipe off because they were in the way. When taking one of the bolts off the catalytic converter it broke. It was rusted so it was bound to happen. We figured we would get it running, then take it to a shop and have them bore the bolt out and get a new one put in.

Recently we went to the same junk yard and found a transmission that they were willing to sell for $50. We figured it was good because the car had appeared to have been rolled (not like the other maxima they had which looked as though it had sat and most likely had the same problem as mine). We took the tranny out, paid, brought it home. We have been trying to get the car to idle good before we put in the transmission. Right now it is idling very low, and dies occasionally. The other day we replaced all six spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and the spark plug wires.

I was sitting in the drivers seat, my step dad was listening to the engine and suddenly I see smoke pouring in from the open door and the center console around the emergency brake. Bo (my step dad) said it was most likely crud burning off (after all, it did site for 7 years). I said it didnt smell like 'crud' but more organic.

I jack the car up a few inches and look at the catalytic converter, which by this point is red from heat, and i see where the bolt had been broken there is a gap. From that gap hot exhaust gas was being spewed at the ground. The point where the exhaust gas was hitting the ground there was a burn spot. The grass was ON FIRE.

My question, after this long story, is what do you suggest I do from this point. Should I just put the transmission in, then pay someone to fix the exhaust (I know a great shop that does good work on Nissans), and just hope i dont pass out on the drive over. Or should I get the exhaust fixed first then worry about the tranny.

Also, what do you think I need to get for the exhaust system if I were to work on it myself. I heard somewhere that it is illegal to buy catalytic converters from wrecked vehicles or something.

Thanks -Spilk

(BTW, Im 16 now :P )

NISTECH

you can drill the broken stud out and use a bolt and nut to reattach it.

since your mom has parked the car nissan had a big campaign on your car requiring the fuel injectors to be replaced along with many other components. I say get the car drivable and have that campaign done [ if she didnt have it done just prior to parking it] The campaign came out in mid 96 and is still honered today on cars that havent had it done. This may resolve some of your drivabilty problems.

Spilk188
Car: '95 Mazda Protege, RIP'85 Maxima GL'RIP

Yeah, I dont think she ever had it done.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”