Exhaust Differences? 2001 Frontier SC 3.3L vs N/A 3.3L

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
quakerj

I'm looking into purchasing a cat-back system for my truck which is a 2001 Frontier SC 4x4 CC (short bed).

I found a steal on a cat-back system which is advertised to fit "2000-2002 CREW CAB SHORT BED 2/4WD 3.3L MOTOR", but makes no mention as to fitment with a Supercharger equipped truck.

Would this setup fit my application? Are there any known differences in the exhaust between the NA and SC 3.3L? If so, what are the differences, and can modification be done to make this setup fit a SC 3.3L?

quakerj

anyone?

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

I am told there is a slight difference. The pipes are supposedly a 1/4" larger diameter on the SC model which makes sense with a supercharger forcing extra air and fuel on demand at the kick of the pedal. The path that the SE and SC exhaust systems follow is the same all the way to the tail pipe.

One site I checked has a different part number forReg Cab, Crew Cab, Reg Box, Long Box, XE/SE package and another number for the SC model.

They list 6 in all. What's the difference??? Hanger locations and some of the pipe lengths vary. An SC package most likely uses a slightly larger pipe diameter than the stock unit. But the only way to truely know is to call them and ask.

Where are you getting your kit from?

quakerj

It's a kit from http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com. Mandrel bent 2 1/2" cat-back, the price is unbeatable, under 200$ shipped.

I'm likely going to pick it up, and then do any modification if necessary.

I can't for the life of me imagine the pipe diameter to be any larger than the N/A 3.3L.. It looks absolutely tiny for a supercharged V6, but I suppose anything is possible.

quakerj

One last question---

Assuming I get this kit, and some mounting locations are not correct, perhaps the pipe size is different than the N/A 3.3L, would an exhaust shop be able to modify the kit as necessary to make it fit correctly? I'm assuming the kit (since it is listed to fit crew cab short bed 4x4's) will follow the correct path, is this correct?

How much do they usually charge for a normal exhaust install?

Big-Bird

The Doug Thorley system might work and might be easily modified but its not fair to you to say YES or NO based on pictures, thoughts and second hand info. Get under your truck and do some measuring. Call Doug Thorley and get in touch with a muffler shop that is capable of doing good quality work. You will get what you pay for if you try and be cheap.

Other systems to consider:

Borla.Gibson.Calmini.

or you can go custom....

Dynomax Muffler with custom bent pipes. Then you can get a larger pipe diameter to suit your desire (but there are limits to how large you should go).

PS: Borla, Gibson and Calmini all list different part numbers for the SC and non SC Frontier systems. This alone makes me think there is a difference at least to be aware of.

quakerj

Thanks for the help. I did get underneath the truck today to get an idea of what I was looking at for worst case scenario.. I just wish I had a non supercharged model to compare it to.

There's three hangers on my exhaust. One is after the Y-pipe to tailpipe flange, one at the rear of the muffler, and one to the rear of the tailpipe. The two rear hangers are just round bar bent to go from the truck frame (with a rubber mount) to the muffler / tailpipe. The first hanger closest to the Y-pipe goes horizontal, to a rubber mount off the frame (if I can remember correctly). Perhaps the Y-pipe to tailpipe flange is different, which would require more modification. Mine is a 2-bolt almost in a diamond shape.

I'll probably call around and see what some local shops will charge for a custom setup, before I bite the bullet on this one.

quakerj

Well my question has been answered. I contacted several different vendors by email in hopes that one could provide me with the exact differences between the two models.

I received a response from Custom Tube Products (http://www.customtubeproducts.com/exhaust.htm) which reads,

"The only difference is the size of the muffler. A non-supercharged system will bolt up to a supercharged truck with no modifications.

DavidCustom Tube Products, Inc."

A big sigh of relief for me, I'll take the plunge and post if I notice any differences. Thanks for the help.

quakerj

Well the saga continues... I still get varying responses, Calmini wrote me back and said that the A pipe which connects the new exhaust to the factory exhaust is different between the S/C and non S/C models.

An Ebay member who sells a Nismo exhaust for the Frontier (also has 100% feedback) says the only thing that matters is truck length (crew/king cab, short/long bed, etc), and that he's certain that a given exhaust will work with either S/C or non S/C, even if the part # is not corresponding.

Big-Bird

Go custom with a Dynomax or similar and be done with it. At least a custom pipe job will be routed correctly and then you have a warranty if you any early issues that give you greif.

Contact Jane at Automotive Customizers or AC as we call them, in Florida and tell her Wade told you to call her. She will help you out. They carry the Borla system and from my own experience AC has been very good to deal with.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”