Exchanging Halogen Headlight Lens with HID Lens

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
jakenbake
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35

So my headlights have been foggy for a while. I polish them and they look great for a month or two, but the cloudiness always comes back. I wanted to replace the headlights but I have HIDs with AFS and at $900 per light, that wasn't going to happen. I then wondered how much the non-HID version cost and wondered if the housing and lens were the same. So I ordered the halogen lights for $225 each and sure enough the lens and housing is the same and only the innards are different. I baked my headlights and switched the lenses (adding some new glue to make sure they seal tight). The end result is impressive and the total cost for headlights, glue, and shipping was $525. Still not a cheap project but much less expensive than two brand new headlights for $1800.

I also put in new HID bulbs since the lights were off the car and I had easy access. Purchased the set of Morimoto D2S 5500k from theretrofitsource.com for $50 and they look great!

Before.

After.

meanie
Car: G37, EX35

I wonder if the car had had a clear bra on that covered the headlights, if the plastic could have been peeled off and they would have been good as new? My clear bra installation was about the same price as the lights cost you. The car is garaged and a 2011, so the housings look okay so far, but who knows what time will bring...

DHackRSX

Good Job!

Let me know if you want to sell the chrome trim from inside the headlight assembly. I've been thinking about blacking mine out but I'd like to be able to use my car while the paint is drying....

Also, could you let me know the baking instructions? Have you had any issues with moisture?

Thanks
D

jakenbake

I believe the clear bra does work that way...My last three cars had the clear bra and I loved it. I wish this one did too.

jakenbake

DHackRSX wrote:Good Job!

Let me know if you want to sell the chrome trim from inside the headlight assembly. I've been thinking about blacking mine out but I'd like to be able to use my car while the paint is drying....

Also, could you let me know the baking instructions? Have you had any issues with moisture?

Thanks
D
Bake at 270F for 7 minutes. Make sure the lens doesn't touch anything in the oven. There is also an instruction video from Retrofitsource. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anN0vYBj6Uo

As for leaks, I went through the carwash yesterday and no leaks at all.

The headlights are on ebay right now. Here is a link to the postings.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111778280584?ss ... 1555.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111778259472?ss ... 1555.l2649

DHackRSX

Thanks for the info Jake, I just saw your response now. Let me know if you want me to shoot you an offer on ebay or we can handle it off line.

jakenbake

DHackRSX wrote:Thanks for the info Jake, I just saw your response now. Let me know if you want me to shoot you an offer on ebay or we can handle it off line.
I sent you a private message. :-)

DHackRSX

I guess I need to have been a registered user for longer in order to post or reply to private messages.

Shoot me pm with an email address.

Your offer sounds very reasonable.

Glad to see the headlights are easily baked apart and re-assembled. I'd like to speak to you about the intricacies if possible. I'm well versed with retrofitting.

I'll shoot my ideas past you when you contact me. I'd give you my email but I'd rather not just post it on the "information superhighway".

D

jakenbake

Sent you a message with my email in it.

DHackRSX

Thanks Jake,

I didn't expect the packaging to be so substantial.

Thanks for the great deal and the instructions.

D

jakenbake

No problem. I'm glad you liked it. Post pictures when you get them painted. :-)

piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

Nice job! headlight looks like new. I have also found this guy on the youtube, he has some great videos.

How to Restore Headlights PERMANENTLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... EJbKLZ7RmM[/youtube]

Bocatrip

jakenbake wrote:I believe the clear bra does work that way...My last three cars had the clear bra and I loved it. I wish this one did too.
I'm also a fan of the clear bra. I have had them on every car I've owned in Florida on my front bumpers to protect from bugs and road debris. However, the headlights are a different story. I did a fair amount of research and although I had a clear bra installed on my QX50 a did not do the headlights. Firstly, the clear bra is not ocular so it does somewhat affect the dispersion of light from the halogens. In addition, the clear bra in Florida will eventually be discoloring anyway and will need to be replaced and once removed it removes the protective coating on the headlight cover. I've decided to wait until the headlights do discolor and have them treated professionally as I have done on my previous cars for $125 a pair. They end up looking brand new. Once treated I can get another 3-5 years out of them which might be longer than my car ownership.

Jat007
Car: 2008 EX35

jakenbake - What's the year of your EX35 headlight belong to? Mine is 2008 and I don't think I have HID bulb or do I?? My lights looks like brand new, but I wish it could be brighter though.

Jay

Suzuki Todd

Interesting. I'm new to the EX35 but I am going to assume that a pair of Xenon headlights would fit the non-Xenon EX35. Though, I am unsure about the wiring harness and how that all fits. There are tons of harnesses on eBay along with the ballasts.

If anyone can chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

jakenbake

Mine is a 2009. The HID and Halogen headlights are not interchangeable. The HID headlights require a ballast as well as headlight modules that change the direction of the headlight with the steering wheel. They also require an additional AFS switch on the dashboard and a height sensor at the rear of the vehicle. I am sure there are other components but those are just what I can think of off the top of my head. If you want brighter headlights get the Morimoto HID kit from theretrofitsource.com They are a little pricier than the kits on ebay but they are oem quality, come with a great warranty, and they are worth the money. It will be a night and day difference comapred to your halogens.

Suzuki Todd

Are there non AFS Xenon headlights for the EX35? If there are, would that work?

jakenbake

There might be...but those would be the same housing as the halogen lights. If you want to upgrade just use those morimoto hid kits I mentioned in the previous comment. They are OEM quality and only cost $150 for the set. Plus they have a 5 year warranty. I have used it in a couple of my own cars that didn't come with HIDs and a couple friend's cars. Never had any problems.

Jaymes
Car: 2017 QX50 BEAST WAGON

I'm assuming that the projectors are different for the HID and halogen models? Mine came with halogens and I just stuck some ddm tuning HIDs in there, but with the halogen projectors, they're probably not at their max potential. Anyone have experinece with converting halogen to HID? Any inputs on DDM tuning products?

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”