excessive front tire wear and hopping

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
phanatikz32
Car: 1991 NA to TT z32 biatch!

i have been noticing my tires are wearing down like crazy in the front and not as much in the rear, i'm down to the staples on the front right and the rears still have tread all across, i got my alignment done at a local alignment shop a few months ago, but i dont know what the alignment is, i am lowered about 3 or more inches from stock and the staples are showing on the front inside so i know i have negative in front and back, cuz you can visually see it. but does anyone know why this is or how i can fix it? also i notice when i'm drifting it feels like my front is hopping like it doesnt want to slide which causes steering problems, my car is also understeering alot which i am attributing to the poor tires and alignment, i also have a rear strut bar but no front so the rear is stiffer laterally than the front so maybe that has something to do with it, but can stablizing my front and the car overall laterally help with the hopping or is it all an alignment problem? sorry the mass of words...

Chukidori

stop using the word laterally.

What suspension do you have, it may not be an alignment error but an issue with suspension travel, 3 inches is alot.

Yes, strut bars always help. Contrary to popular belief a strut bar is not going to make that end more prone to sliding. If anything Its going to make that end more grippy and predictable. Generally stiffer makes people think it will slide easier, In this case a strut bar keeps the chassis from flexing, the space between the strut towers will actually bend physicaly changing the suspension geometry and wheel alignment.

Strut bars keep your wheel alignment stable and keeps your tires in better contact with the road.

Go get a strut bar.

phanatikz32

i have a front strut but it doesnt fit, and i have megan racing street series coilovers and i think you are right about the suspension travel i could stand to raise my car a bit.

bball212000
Car: 95 s14

it is the alignment that is causing your tire wear.

EgoManiac77
Car: 89 240, RB20, r32 front end ,right hand drive

do u have a camber kit that should help the majority of ur problems. most of the times alignment shops will only get it as close as they can with lowered cars. did u get a print out of the alignment showing the specs and how far they are off. also bc it is lowered the factory specs wont be proper for alignment.

phanatikz32

you are def right about that, but i dont have a camber kit but i have been looking at getting one they are just kind of expensive for my car, and funds are tight right now. in fact i havent been able to find an actual kit for my car, just upper links by themselves without the toe or traction controll arms. but do you know how to measure the alignment, because i want to learn so i can start working with my own alignment.

EgoManiac77
Car: 89 240, RB20, r32 front end ,right hand drive

i dont know a hole lot about alignments as of yet but i do know that it involves a plum bob,tape measure and a good beal of time to do it yourself. and as far as ur front wheels hopping try to replace your tie rod ends and ball joints if possible. dropping the car 3 inch will put a lot of stress on these parts

xckid
Car: 2004 Chevy Blazer ZR2

if your understeering alot thats why your tires are wearing quicker, we had a guy in mustang try to drift it was v8 automatic and to boot a convertiable. He couldnt seem to get the *** end out and would be constantly understeering just pushing his front tires thru turns. He replaced more front tires that day then rear

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”