EX35 Rear-ended - Replaced with Stock G37 coupe muffler.

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

I like the new G37 coupe muffler sound. It is not noisy at all, but has that deeper growl into it compare to stock EX35. It is not raspy and has zero drone....Now, I need to save for the Fast Intention HFC none resonated and leave the stock Y-PIPE and Mide-pipe to keep the drone/raspy sound out. The sound is perfect for my taste, just needed to amplify it just a bit.
I also found a used G37 MIDPIPE AND Y-PIPE for $150 shipped. Will these fit in my 2008 EX35? Should I pull the trigger on these? 40k miles old....

Both pipes were bent!

Here she is at last! with G37 coupe muffler- The shop said, it bolts right into it!
Why is the G37 coupe muffler all Stainless steel? I thought it has black paint on the muffler can just like our EX.

Last edited by AWGD8 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parkstr8r
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q70S
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

I bought a brand new one the first week i had my car...and i keep telling everyone it's a direct 10 minute swap. And the sound is a lot better than stock.

I wonder if on the new EX38 they just use the G37 muffler now?

Anyway - my butt swears a few more HP! ;-)

AWGD8

I do not think the new EX37 has the same muffler exhaust from the G37 coupe. I had a chance to test drive a 2013 EX37 AWd and did not hear the same sound I am hearing now from my EX35(with G37 coupe muffler)But, I noticed the EX37 AWD is just a bit peppy using the manual mode from dead stop to 60 compare to my 2008 EX AWD. Might be that extra foot pound of Torque from the 3.7 Liters amd maybe a closer ratio 7speed AT compare to my 5speed AT.

I am just wondering if anyone here had a chance to install a different midpipe and Y-pipe.? will an IPL G37 coupe midpipe and Y-pipe fit in to the EX35?

Did you notice any change in sound after having that G37 muffler for a while? Did it gets louder and retain the deeper sound? or the same from day one?

AWGD8

Update: Definitely, the G37 coupe muffler feels much better than the stock EX35.

After the installation of the G37 coupe muffler, I did not feel any difference with the way the car pick up. The sound is much better though....

Then I read online that we have to reset the ECU to relearn the new exhaust.

I did the gas pedal sequence for reseting the ECU and did not see any difference after that, but after driving it hard for a couple of days, I noticed an improvement on the way it picks up after a week. The mid range has better torque than before and passing in the highway is much better too. BTW, I did not feel any loss in lower end torque too...

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

AWGD8 wrote:Then I read online that we have to reset the ECU to relearn the new exhaust.
Wow, there is really that much of a reduction in back-pressure with this new muffler to require a change to the ECU? That surprises me.

Thanks,
Tim

EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

Could also be the tranny computer learning your drive patterns as well. :chuckle:
Just saying - good to know the sound improved without getting offensive or overly attention-getting. :bigthumb:

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

EX-KAT-35 wrote:Could also be the tranny computer learning your drive patterns as well. :chuckle:
Just saying - good to know the sound improved without getting offensive or overly attention-getting. :bigthumb:
That would actually make more sense to me...but again, I don't know the "innards" of these cars very well yet.

I just had a 2012 G37x for the last few days as a loaner while my 2008 EX was having its 60K Service done, and man....I really love that car. The exhaust (and engine) note really sound great; I would say they sound "pronounced" rather than "loud". Me likey :D

Tim

Coreman

Installed a 370Z muffler in the wife's 2010 EX35 this weekend. It's a direct bolt on. Sounds about the same to me, but I don't drive it much. Also bought the guy's HR Y-pipe and put it on my G35.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”