EX35 passanger fog light voltage very low

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
jackie8z
Car: Infiniti EX35 2011
VW Touareg 2008

Hello

I have a problem about passenger side fog light. Mine is 2011 AWD.

Recently, one of my fog light passenger side started flickering then totally stop working. I thought the bulb is bad and purchased new LED bulb H11.Plug in but not working.

I checked fuse, good. And both side use this fuse as I learnt.
Go back check old bulb and new bulb, both good.
I removed small yellow cap in connector and test the voltage, the driver side is 11.8v, but passenger side is 1.35v only.
If I turn off fog light, I got 0.3v-0.4v reading from connector.

I checked the wiring diagram, it shows both side are just splitted from 1 wire group and connects to battery, relay controls them on/off.

Now I think here is 3 possiblities:
1. Connector (to bulb) itself is bad, inside rust causes huge resistnace so bulb cannot have enough voltage. = replace connector.
2. The wiring is thin/slim somewhere, not sure how to determine the defect part. But ususally even the cable is very slim, the voltage shuold not drop to 1.3v from 12v.
3. The end of wiring connector to battery is bad, but this cannot explain driver side is 12v.

I guess it does not related to relay... what should I do to fix it?

Please kindly share your idea Thank you,

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you look at your wiring diagram on EL-106 here...
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2FEXL.pdf
...you'll see that the relay is SPST and feeds both lamps, so it can't be responsible. However, the lamps have different grounds and different power wires coming out of the IPDM, so if the connector is good, you may have a bad wire. The way to isolate which side of the circuit is causing the problem is to measure voltage across the two pins, then measure from the power-side pin to a chassis ground. If the voltage is the same for both measurements, the problem is on the power side. If the voltage is higher when measuring to the chassis, the problem is in the ground circuit. Also inspect the connector pins carefully for any blackening of the springs on the female pins, that means the connector is shot. H11 connectors are readily available in the "help" section at most parts stores.

jackie8z
Car: Infiniti EX35 2011
VW Touareg 2008

Thanks for your input. Today I cut the bulb connector. Still wire voltage is 1.3v. The resistance on connector pins are very low. 86 87 are just splited from same wire. I'll try to see if I can check 86 87 and e22 e46. Today I think I touched the 'split' part but not very sure. I need to remove bumper to access the wire and connectors...

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”