EX35 Overheated

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
scottt
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 RWD Journey

My 09 Infiniti EX35 RWD Journey has been pretty trouble free. I'm the original owner with 70,000 miles. My wife and I really like the car.

While running a errand on a 107 degree day I noticed the car start to run rough. Immediately pulled off the road into a independent auto repair shop. The next morning they called me with the bad news, the thermostat stuck, created a leak between the aluminum and plastic upper tank. Wanted $2,000 for entire job.

Not knowing this shop I had car towed to my Infiniti dealer, only 5 or so miles away. They came to the same conclusion. The service writer gave me a break, cost me $2,200 with tow at dealership. Replaced radiator with OEM replacement ( noticed it had a updated replacement part number leading me to think it might be improved ) replaced the thermostat, hoses, clamps and radiator cap. Also changed oil and filter.

My purpose of this post is to recommend changing the thermostat around 60,000 miles. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Anyone else have this failure?

Jaymes
Car: 2017 QX50 BEAST WAGON

So it didnt really overheat, but the thermostat was faulty so it gave a false reading of the temperature right?

scottt

No, I was told that the thermostat stuck closed causing the engine to overheat. The resulting pressure/heat caused the radiator to fail. The upper tank is plastic, the leak occurred where the plastic tank connects to the radiator.

The coolant overflow tank still had coolant.

The independent shop and Infiniti dealership gave me the same reason for the failure, the independent shop wanted approximately $150 less to make repairs so I went with the Infiniti dealership.

Hope this helps

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

$2,200.00? Ouch. I think I did mine for about $200 ? I hope they kissed you first or at least bought you dinner! :)

scottt

The Radiator alone list for $740, that's for a genuine Infiniti Radiator. I went online and double checked the price and it was correct. Not sure of the difference between a $740 radiator and a aftermarket for $200?there must be a difference. My guess; the aftermarkets are strictly the radiator. The Infiniti is the whole unit, plastic tanks, bla, bla, bla. I was told by the independent and dealership that it required evacuating and recharging the AC.

The independent shop wanted a little over $2,000 all in for the job, so I went with the dealer. Hope I didn't get shafted, they did do a good job. Car looks totally factory under the hood. New OEM clamps, hoses, on and on. Planning on keeping the car long term, really like it. Hope to go 200,000 miles, maybe more.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Yes, I went with aftermarket since the OEM one only lasted (60-70K - I honestly can't remember off the top of my head what my miles were)
I am just razzing you. Probably not a horrible price for the dealer and the DIY was much harder than I thought... If you want a good laugh, search for my post when I changed mine. :facepalm:

scottt

It's all good; as I mentioned before, noticed the original radiator part number was replaced with a new part number and only for the 08 through 10 I think model year EX's. Its my guess that the original radiator was updated due to failures. I'll check out your post.

Bocatrip

Radiators are known to fail on most EX35s around the 60-70,000 mark. It's amazing how many fail just at that mileage. If I keep mine (2017 QX50) for close to that mileage I would be changing it at 45-50K before it happens as it's pretty common. I had a G35 sedan with almost the same engine and no radiator problems but designs and the "part bins" for our parts change. FYI.... stay with OEM for many reasons. Even if the part is defective prematurely...stay with OEM. Sometimes they are superceded and better. If not do your own research and if you can find something better with a proven record.. go for it. Good luck to everyone.. The EX35/EX50 is a proven car.... just a continuation of the great/proven G35.

mikey1951
Car: 2008 EX 35

XIS - looks like I am gonna follow your path with this radiator issue (102k miles). Aftermarket rad for less than 100$ and a 4 day weekend should do it. Did you remove front grill for better access? Might do thermo while in there and I will do hoses for sure.
I am waiting for Mishimoto about fitment with an al rad.

I gotta do a front bumper cover this winter too....oh well the $$s just fly away but I love this car.

scottt

Bocatrip; the OEM radiator part number did change from the original. Gives me some comfort as I suspect the replacement was improved. Considering the hours of labor required to replace the radiator I wanted the best possible part installed. Labor was more than the parts.

Like others has said, my wife and I really like this vehicle. Took a long road trip early this year, many of the freeways had 80mph posted speed limits. It's nice having a vehicle that handles those speeds and more without straining. We plan on keeping this car on the road another 8 to 10 years. Even if it cost us $10,000 in repairs ( worst case ) it makes sense considering what a replacement vehicle would cost. Tax and license alone in California run close to $4,000 day one. Depreciation on a new one would be at least $6,000 for two years leaving us money ahead.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

mikey1951 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 pm
XIS - looks like I am gonna follow your path with this radiator issue (102k miles). Aftermarket rad for less than 100$ and a 4 day weekend should do it. Did you remove front grill for better access? Might do thermo while in there and I will do hoses for sure.
I am waiting for Mishimoto about fitment with an al rad.

I gotta do a front bumper cover this winter too....oh well the $$s just fly away but I love this car.
Good luck. Get that AC evacuated first! :)
YES - I removed my grill also. super easy.

Bocatrip

scottt wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 am
Bocatrip; the OEM radiator part number did change from the original. Gives me some comfort as I suspect the replacement was improved. Considering the hours of labor required to replace the radiator I wanted the best possible part installed. Labor was more than the parts.

Like others has said, my wife and I really like this vehicle. Took a long road trip early this year, many of the freeways had 80mph posted speed limits. It's nice having a vehicle that handles those speeds and more without straining. We plan on keeping this car on the road another 8 to 10 years. Even if it cost us $10,000 in repairs ( worst case ) it makes sense considering what a replacement vehicle would cost. Tax and license alone in California run close to $4,000 day one. Depreciation on a new one would be at least $6,000 for two years leaving us money ahead.
Good thinking! I agree with you. The cost of a new car is prohibitive these days. Many of these forum owners might not really understand what a proven car they own. I had a G35 Sedan and Coupe both for over 11 years with no issues other than maintenance and few repairs. This car the EX35/EX37/EX50 is just one of the last proven rear wheel drive 6 cylinder proven cars made by Infiniti. From here are in the public might be stuck with 4 cylinder front wheel drive cars possibly with CVT transmissions. Good Luck!!!!! Not me.. I'm sticking with my proven QX50... I'll live without the technology but give me a proven reliable car! Good luck all.

mikey1951
Car: 2008 EX 35

XIS: I watched 2 youtube videos with one guy learning as he went and the other guy seemed to know what he is doing. Seems doable with a little time. I plan to keep this car for awhile since it has been the only suv I enjoy driving.
I might even black out grille with a colored badge and even get a black bumper cover. Just sayin'
Just put new shoes on : Goodrich Comp A 235/55/R17s - love em!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”