Ex35 Check engine SOON light on. Reset? Or bring to garage?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
infinitiex35owner
Car: Ex35 2010

Hi all! I am new here. Glad I found this forum. Happy new year to everyone :)

Just got my Ex35 from used dealer. First 200 miles trip, and boom Check engine soon light go on. Bad luck maybe! I checked the gas cap. Open it again, closed it back with 2 clicks. Made about 1 miles with the car. Still the damn light is on.

Dealer is closed.. and anyway they are 200 miles away from home.

What could it be? Soon? Shy soon?
What do you suggest? Reset and wait. Go to Infiniti garage?

The car have about 80k miles.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

infinitiex35owner wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm
Hi all! I am new here. Glad I found this forum. Happy new year to everyone :)

Just got my Ex35 from used dealer. First 200 miles trip, and boom Check engine soon light go on. Bad luck maybe! I checked the gas cap. Open it again, closed it back with 2 clicks. Made about 1 miles with the car. Still the damn light is on.

Dealer is closed.. and anyway they are 200 miles away from home.

What could it be? Soon? Shy soon?
What do you suggest? Reset and wait. Go to Infiniti garage?

The car have about 80k miles.
You can pick up an obd2 code reader at an auto parts store, or walmart for around $20 for a basic reader, read the codes and tell us what the codes are.

If the check engine light is flashing, you should not drive the vehicle until the issue is resolved.

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

Isn’t that simply a warning for an upcoming major service maintenance? I vaguely remember having this light too, at about 90,000km, or it could be even later, at 100,000km (don’t remember) . I also panicked but engine was running fine, transmission was smooth, engine oil was right, coolant/ps/pb fluids all checked out fine. Check the manual to be sure, but any ****flashing***** light is serious.

I brought it in and they did the maintenance and reset the light.

Let us know and good luck. Enjoy the car

Ice

infinitiex35owner

Thanks guys. I will bring them in to Infiniti anyway to make a full inspection.

Should I ask for recalls or specific things since I will be there?

CDNicecube

Yes. Ask for recalls, if any.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

CDNicecube wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 am
Isn’t that simply a warning for an upcoming major service maintenance?
No definitely not, a Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon light does not illuminate when due for routine maintenance.

There are many things that can trigger the Check Engine Light, many times it is emission-related. All cars from around 1981 and on have an onboard diagnostic system. When the onboard diagnostic system (obd/obd2) detects a fault it triggers the light and what is supposed to happen is you or an automotive technician plugs in tan obd2 code reader and reads the code and or codes to determine what the problem could be.

CDNicecube

I was fairly certain that the “check engine SOON” warning is not the same warning as a “check engine light” icon (as is) but I stand corrected as I could be wrong. OP, bring it to a dealer/technician to be safe and let us know what they say please.

infinitiex35owner

So I have an appointment next monday at my local Infiniti. In the meanwhile I received my OBD reader and plugged it to get the code. I got those :

P0463 - Fuel level sensor circuit high input -> Found by googling it's probably the fuel level sensor
U0164 - Lost Communication With HVacuum Control Module -> Didn't find a clear answer on the web

What do you think?

Should I just reset the ECU?

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”