EX gas guzzler ?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
exfactor

With the gas price going higher and higher.... What is EX's real world numbers? Does it only premium ? Does it even make sense to get this vehicle just for itz looks?

SprayTech
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 2004 Infiniti G35X

I use the cheapest gas and have no problems ( and I have a 2004 G35X bought new and my wife puts the cheapest in it and no problems in 4 years of ownership ) I am getting 23 MPG with my EX35 and I drive 60 miles round trip a day , 5 days a week to & from work . Plus I use the cruise control all the time , been doing this for years , be surprised how much you save not doing the , on the gas off the gas , that most people seem to do now days . each week it gets better ( have had it 5 weeks now ) started with 19 .Sure beats the 17 MPG of my 1999 toyota truck I traded off .

herk
Car: ex35

I've just begun trying to use more cruise control (hard sometimes in Los Angeles Traffic), and the difference i've seen allready is substantial. No hard numbers yet, but even better than my usual 20-21 mpg. But as i haven't gotten out of my break in period, i've been pretty soft with my foot . We'll see what happens when i can start having fun.

Mark Booth

I reset both Fuel Economy gauges each time I fill the tank. My best mileage for a tank is just over 23 mpg. My worst mileage for a tank was just under 20 mpg (19.9 to be exact). That was the only one that was below 20 mpg and I did a LOT of city driving on that tank. The 23 mpg tank still had some city driving in it, but a bit less than normal. Between those two, about 10% of the tanks were between 22-23 mpg, about 50% of the tanks were between 21-22 mpg and about 40% of the tanks were between 20-21 mpg.

My problem is that I can't keep my foot out of the gas when I get behind someone going 20 mph onto the freeway. I thoroughly enjoy blowing by them once it's safe to get around them, pedal to the metal. I hit 90 before I realize I've passed 55! They've just got to be saying, "Look at that SUV haul a$$!" Unfortunately, then I can watch the Fuel Economy readout between the gauges DROP at the next refresh!

Bottom line... with combined city/highway (25%/75%) driving, it is pretty easy to get about 22mpg. That even includes a few "pedal to the metal" on those tanks.

Mark

P.S. I rarely do any stop & go highway driving. I've tailored my work schedule to pretty much miss all of the rush hour traffic.

Mark Booth

exfactor wrote:Does it even make sense to get this vehicle just for itz looks?
If fuel economy is the most important thing to you, get yourself a Prius. Me, I think life is too short to drive around in an ugly car or choose a car because it is a good "appliance".

Don't get me wrong.... I'm a bit envious of those Prius drivers getting 45+ MPG but they are paying for that economy in other ways. I test drove a Prius and, while it is a technological "gadget" from stem to stern, the car just doesn't have a soul. A car without a soul is a bit of waste of sheet metal, IMHO.

Besides... a couple of my buddies (who are also car enthusiasts) told me that they'd stop talking to me if I bought a Prius!

Mark

P.S. Actually, I think EVERYONE should buy a Prius. Everyone but me, that is. That would help bring fuel prices down and I'd get the benefit too. So, ignore the above and go get a Prius!

majorloser
Car: Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey

Fuel economy, what's that?

The EX35 is my wife's car. I waiting for my 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 to be delivered

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I drive a gas-suckin 6.0 Litre GM Truck... and it cost me $140.00 to fill it up, last time.

I'd rather do that, then drive a s**t-box around.

As mentioned before, life's too short to drive a tin-can.

We do a lot more driving around in my Wife's EX than we do now in the Truck... but before, it was the other way around.

The EX has AWD... so we can do anything we want, any time of the Year.

Mark Booth

I will further add.... I don't like paying $4.00+ for a gallon of gas anymore than anyone else. But if that future expense plays an overbearing role in your decision whether to buy an EX35, then please forgive me if I suggest you might want to look at more fuel-efficient cars. The EX35 is, after all, a Luxury vehicle. Popularly equipped, a $40,000+ Luxury vehicle. And anyone that feels they can afford an EX35 but not the gas to put in it might want to rethink their priorities.

Mark

exfactor

Awsome.... 20+ mpg? who are those people whining in edmunds.com? I drive a crossfire which gives 21 mpg on premium. So it doesn't sound bad at all. I was concerned with infiniti rating at 16mpg for city, I was a bit sceptical the real world numbers might be less than that. Great posts guys, thanks...

RCHarris
Car: '08 EX35 AWD Journey - loaded

I'm one of those guys on Edmonds with disappointing mileage. I have tried everything to improve it (including the cruise control) and the only way I can boost my mileage beyond 20 mpg is to drive exclusively on the freeway and at no more than 65mph. I have 2,000 miles on the car and I am averaging 16.5 mpg - combined city and highway. I use premium fuel that now costs $4.25 gallon where I live. I love my EX and not at all sorry that I purchased it but fuel economy is definitely not one of its attributes.Randy

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Hey Randy ... are you driving on mountainous roads or at high altitude?

exfactor

Does this vehcile has break in period. May be Randy will see better mileage as he add up some more miles... ?!? And SprayTech might be hurting the engine if not using premium gas. Owner's Manual says it requires at least 91 octane. That is premium in most pumps.

Mark Booth

New low figure for me on my fill up last night.... 19.7 mpg. And that was almost exclusively city driving. I'd say about 80% city and 20% highway and I still got pert near 20 mpg.

Mark

rubbersidedown
Car: Infiniti EX35. Black & Chestnut. All options but Tech Pkg. RWD.

I don't know why/how the "official" mileage numbers on the sticker are off, but I have averaged 20.1 over several months. A really pleasant surprise. I drive with a heavy foot, and in sports mode or manual quite a bit. A recent 400 mile trip average 26.4. The governmental average of 17 mpg doesn't seem to reflect even aggressive driving, which the EX begs you to do. Maybe the gov't drivers got into it, which I could understand, and started running quarter mile sequences!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”