Ex 35 Electrical/Performance Problems

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
McAnally
Car: 2008 ex35

This is my first forum post. My 2008 EX35 stranded me over the weekend. Here are the events. I went to start the car and it acted as though it did not recognize the fob. The fob unlocked the car but I did not see the normal foot on break. I inserted in fob holder still nothing. I disconnected and reconnected the negative battery cable and was able to start the car. However, the CEL, AWD And slip indicator where illuminated additionally the dash lights would periodically go off and restart... like it was trying to reboot. I drove to the nearest Nissan dealer as it was Saturday they couldn't help until Monday. The car restarted no problem at the dealer but it still had the warning lights. On the drive back I decided to stop at O'Reilly's for a code read. En-route the car felt as though it had developed a hard shift. I got to O'Reilly's and shut off the car the clerk hooked up the code reader and could not connect to the cars system. The car would not restart, disconnecting the Neg would not work this time. I ended up disconnecting both cables and touching them together before reconnecting to battery. The car restarted acted as though nothing had happened performed normal and no system warning lights. I drove back about 2 miles to where we were staying told my son to grab his bags we are returning home. We packed the car and NO start, again like it did not recognize the fob. I gave up rented a car and drove 300+ miles home. Two potentially significant events occurred prior to the failure I had the battery replaced 2 days before the trip and the night before the failure I jumped another car. I am confident that the wires where not crossed during the jump off. My plan is to return and replace camshaft , crankshaft sensors, inspect the grounds and check harnesses for corrosion. I am concerned that I have an ECU/ECM issue and will likely have to go to the dealer . Sorry for the long read but so many odd or new items. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions ? Thanks

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Sorry to hear about your car troubles, as your situation sounds incredibly frustrating. I don't recall seeing anybody post something similar happening on this forum.

What kind of battery did you get? Although it's new, it's possible that it could be defective. That would be my first thing to check and replace before digging in to replace the other sensors.

McAnally

Thanks for your suggestion, that's a good point. I should have included that I did have the new battery tested after the unsuccessful check for codes. About two days and 300 plus miles before the failure the EX passed an annual omissions test. While at the testing station the car would not restart as the battery was dead. I had to be jumped I then proceeded across the street to the closest parts store. I bought the $160 battery recommended by O'Reilly's they stated that it exceeded the CC amps recommended by the MFG. While the battery was being replaced I did notice significant corrosion on the positive cable. Additionally, I thought the clerk was a little rough jerking out the old battery. I had the old battery tested and confirmed it was dead.
Again, thanks for your reply I will update once I am reunited with the EX.

McAnally

UPDATE: When the battery was replaced some items where dislodged. The round boot that covers the top of the BCM? was moved or distorted exposing the connection. The windshield cowling was dislodged. I forgot to include that the night before the above mentioned events we experienced what would best be described as a Florida Downpour. The dislodged items created a new drainage path. Two months passed before I returned. I was able to remove and dry items and to my delight the car started first try. I drove the 300 plus miles home without issue... well almost I mistakenly hid the fob under what I thought would be a dry flower pot, I didnt consider the florida humidity. Secondly the drivers seat adjustments failed to work I replaced a 15amp fuse post trip.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”