Erratic/intermitent speedometer

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Jabracco
Car: ???

I have a 1994 D21 XE (4wd, V6), the speedometer has been working intermittently for the past several months, but now it is almost completely inop. I've read many threads on here about the VSS as well as issues with the dashboard, I'm curious where to start troubleshooting though. I've looked all through my Chilton's manual, and I can't find ANY mention of where the VSS is even located - any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Jeff

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Welcome to the site Jeff. There is a FREE manual located on this site. Go to the home page and go to service manual. The vss vehicle speedometer sensor is located on the transmission. Open the fuse box check the relays located towards the top of the fuse box. Should be the last one towards the passenger side. Try pushing and turning the stem on the trip meter. Possible the speedometer head is bad. When your driving try tapping on the instrument cluster right above the stem. Use a couple of fingers or the knuckles on your hand. Tap it like you hate it. Do this several times and see if starts working.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

If the speedometer works after tapping the cluster it’s probably the cluster. If you order the speedometer the 2wd is different also it’s possible with or W/O tach. makes a difference? Make sure you go by the date of manufacture located on the drivers door. Some of the trucks used a cable I can’t remember what year Nissan truck stoped using them? Does the truck have a tachometer?

Jabracco
Car: ???

It’s not the dash unit, tapping had no effect on it. Upon inspecting the fuse for the dash, it felt warm, so I ordered a new one, I’ll replace that first aince it’s cheaper and easier to get to than the VSS

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”