Erratic Gas/fuel gauge 2008 SL

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
gbancewicz
Car: 2008 Rouge SL

I’m wondering if anybody else sees this issue in their 08 Rogue. Full tank of gas, all bars display as full tank of gas) park car overnight and next morning display shows only ½ or ¾ tank. Driving a few miles will start to increase the bars back where it should be but can take up to 20 miles. Often a 2 mile trip, park for 10-30 minutes and a restart will have the display back to full tank.The car has been at the dealer’s service department longer than in my own driveway, and now they are telling me “It’s just the way digital gas gauges function, it’s normal”. I bring up the fact that the 05 Quest we owned doesn’t act that way and they shrug and say you are lucky.I want them to fix the gauge but they are falling back on the “We’ll talk to tech support and see what they say” routine.

kazzan11236
Car: 2008 Nissan Rouge SL-FWD-Fully Loaded-Tints

i do believe theres a topic on the first/second page that describes this problem. maybe solutions that may help u...

... .....

but dont let the dealer d!ck u around

go straight and start calling the coporate office...

get all the managers names from the dealership... call... complain...

keep calling... eventually they will do something about it... u just gotta stay

in their a$$

gbancewicz

Thank you for the reply but I would still like to know if other Rogue owners are seeing this issue. The one started by RubenTheRogue was slightly different.

Jimothy12
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

I do not have this issue. You live in TX so I assume weather isn't the cause.

squeak

I had the same issue the first time I filled my tank. Parked it overnight and in the morning it read 3/4 full (it was cold overnight - 4 or 5° Celcius). Went back up to full by the time I got to work 15km away. Once the fuel got down to the 3/4 tank mark it stopped doing this. I'm just heading for my second fill up this week and will watch for it again.

Spoke with the service guy at our dealership (didn't like or respect the man at all so not sure what to think). He didn't seem concerned and basically brushed us off. I will definitely be bringing it up (with someone else in the service department) if it continues to occur.

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

gbancewicz wrote:I’m wondering if anybody else sees this issue in their 08 Rogue. Full tank of gas, all bars display as full tank of gas) park car overnight and next morning display shows only ½ or ¾ tank. Driving a few miles will start to increase the bars back where it should be but can take up to 20 miles. Often a 2 mile trip, park for 10-30 minutes and a restart will have the display back to full tank.The car has been at the dealer’s service department longer than in my own driveway, and now they are telling me “It’s just the way digital gas gauges function, it’s normal”. I bring up the fact that the 05 Quest we owned doesn’t act that way and they shrug and say you are lucky.I want them to fix the gauge but they are falling back on the “We’ll talk to tech support and see what they say” routine.
It's your fuel sender unit. Had almost the same problem. I got the run around from my dealer that I bought the car from. This festered until almost the car was a 3/4 year old. Then, when I finally got fed up with there excuses. I went to another dealer and finally, they replaced my sending unit during my 1 year maintanance. It's fixed now. Also, got the doorsill scratching issue fixed there too. No excuses, no we have to call Nissan Tech Services. Frankly, this is my first Nissan and I am less then impressed with there overall service at my dealer that I bought my car at(d!ck Scott Nissan in Canton Michigan). Everthing that came out of there mouths was we have to call Nissan Tech. service for advise. We will call you back. Of coarse, they never did. Month after month I waited, that and the scratching issue on the door sills. I just should have popped into the second dealer(Ann Arbor Nissan)much earlier.

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

My fuel gauge is starting to act up too. I have a 2008 SL AWD that I got in April. I got in the car the other day to go home from work and the fuel gauge read empty. I went over to my usual gas station and filled up. It took about 5 gallons. When I started the car again I was reading full. A couple days later I noticed that I was below 3/4 tank so I turned off the car at a red light and started it again. The gauge read between 3/4 and full (where it was supposed to be for the miles I had driven). I will take it in and start the process of getting it fixed when I go in for my free oil change at the dealer. My dealer has been pretty good so far, I hope this continues. My brother-in-law used to work there, so I know some of the managers and technicians. That usually helps.

gbancewicz

Squeak, thanks for your reply. I have a nasty suspision you will be in the same boat I'm currently in shortly. The dealer I purchasded from has replaced the sensor, fuel pump and teh instrament cluster. It took an act of the Customer relations to getthem to try the wiring harness next.

Good luck!

gbancewicz

wbloomfield thanks fro your reply.

What do you mean exactly by "Sender Unit"? So far this dealership (Nissan of McKinney, McKinney, Tx) has struck out and I'm only still dealing with them because they broke some modling when atempting to repair my car.

So far they have replaced the Sensor, Fule pump and Instrument Cluster. They are now working on the wiring harness. I really hope this "Sender Unit" is a 4th thing some other dealer can try and fix. Knocking on wood that Nissan of McKinney doesn't break anything else this time. I so want to be through with them.

wbloomfield

My understanding from the dealer is the Sender Unit but it might be the sensor. I might have gotton confused, sorry. It suppose to be connected to the fuel tank. In fact the dealer had to drop the fuel tank to get at it. It is suppose to read the amount of gas that is in the fuel tank and send back the reading to the gas gauge. I hope this helps.
gbancewicz wrote:wbloomfield thanks fro your reply.

What do you mean exactly by "Sender Unit"? So far this dealership (Nissan of McKinney, McKinney, Tx) has struck out and I'm only still dealing with them because they broke some modling when atempting to repair my car.

So far they have replaced the Sensor, Fule pump and Instrument Cluster. They are now working on the wiring harness. I really hope this "Sender Unit" is a 4th thing some other dealer can try and fix. Knocking on wood that Nissan of McKinney doesn't break anything else this time. I so want to be through with them.

philipa_240sx

2WD/FWD models use one fuel level sensor and fuel pump assembly. It consists of 2 main parts:

- The sending unit: A metal frame, fuel level sensor, and electrical connections- The fuel pump and filter

AWD models seperates them into 2 units: The fuel pump to the RH side and the sending unit to the LH side of the fuel tank.

Presumably, you only need to change the sending unit portion not the fuel pump.

Electrical problems like these are almost always the result of poor or misaligned connections. This is the first thing to check before replacing components.

wbloomfield,

I am suprised the dealer dropped the fuel tank to get at the sending unit. Nearly every Nissan I have worked on has an access panel that is removed from the vehicle interior to gain access to the sending unit and pump. In the case of the Rogue, it's located under the rear seat (one panel for 2WD, 2 panels for AWD). No need to 'drop' the fuel tank to get access.

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I'm glad to hear that the Rogue has the interior access panel for the sensor. I changed one out in my old 1987 300ZX. It was a simple job that took less than 15 minutes to perform. The Z car had a slide wire resistor attached to the float that would get dirty and needed to be cleaned occasionally.

wbloomfield

That is what Ann Arbor Nissan told me. Could the write up person be wrong ?? I don't know..
philipa_240sx wrote:2WD/FWD models use one fuel level sensor and fuel pump assembly. It consists of 2 main parts:

- The sending unit: A metal frame, fuel level sensor, and electrical connections- The fuel pump and filter

AWD models seperates them into 2 units: The fuel pump to the RH side and the sending unit to the LH side of the fuel tank.

Presumably, you only need to change the sending unit portion not the fuel pump.

Electrical problems like these are almost always the result of poor or misaligned connections. This is the first thing to check before replacing components.

wbloomfield,

I am suprised the dealer dropped the fuel tank to get at the sending unit. Nearly every Nissan I have worked on has an access panel that is removed from the vehicle interior to gain access to the sending unit and pump. In the case of the Rogue, it's located under the rear seat (one panel for 2WD, 2 panels for AWD). No need to 'drop' the fuel tank to get access.

gbancewicz

Finally a voice of reason!

I asked them to check the connections but didn't think and owner could actually have a clue. We are so far past that piont now that as long as they don't break or damager anything I going to a new dealer.

gbancewicz

My service rep actually told me the Rogue has 2 fuel pumps! I should have truned an ran far far away when I heard that one. Especally when I verified with the FSM that it only has 1 pump.

Return to “Rogue Forum”