Engine wouldn't start this morning

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Shawn240SX

1996 240SX 5speedJust turned 100k-no problems with anything(very impressed)

This morning I get in it to go to work and it won't start.Actually it did start for about 2 seconds, but then it died.

Engine cranks over no problemI don't see any sparkWhen I pulled a plug and cranked over could not smell any gas

Pulled the ECU codes via these directions:http://www.240sx.org/faq/artic...h.htm

I get 5 quick, then 5 slowthen repeats this pattern indefinitely(assuming this is a 55 code meaning everything is ok in the ECU's mind)

Anyone have an idea what to specifically try next?

ThanksShawn

Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

No spark, could be a bad ignition coil, or perhaps a fuse blew somewhere that has to do with the fuel pump. How did you test for spark? Usually I test buy grabbing and old sparkplug and take out one of the sparkplug wires and throw on the test plug. Next have the threaded part of the plug touch say a bolt on the valve cover and have somone crank, if there's spark then nothings wrong with ur coil or ignition (hopefully). That's all I can think of right now.

rudeboy
Car: cars

check vacume hoses. i say it a hundred times. nissan used really sh!tty hoses. fuel hoses ,vacume hoses. any hose. garbage. get the hood up and try to get it on . listen for "extra air"

and if he had no spark then he'd probaly smell fuel on the plugs, since it wouldn't be burnin.

my two shillins

Shawn240SX

For the spark test did the old 'stick a screwdriver in the wire and prop it very close next to an engine part'At least this is what worked on my domestic cars...

Its now running.

Here is what I did-any clues as to what the heck happened are very much welcomed:

10/28 7amGot in car to go to work-engine catches for a second then dies. Figure its just because its very cold and damp in the mornings so I try starting it again. Engine cranks, but won't catch. For the first few tries it sounded like it wanted to(when it was cranking I could feel slight 'bumps' that felt like the plugs were firing.Around the 4-5th attempt though-the engine started spinning around very smoothly. It was a noticeable difference.Pulled a plug and did the spark test-nothing.Cranked it over again and put my nose in the spark plug hole-could not smell any gas. Accessed the ECU and it said '55'-no problems. Gave up and got an alternate ride to work.

Got home and pulled the fuel line and routed into a container. When the ignition key was turned (on, but not cranking), fuel would 'prime' (my best guess) for a second, then stop. Was expecting a continous flow, but what do I know.Went online looking for the behavior of Nissan fuel injection and found a reference that it could possibly be the relay-and the recommended test would eb to swap it with another one in the car. I moved all the relays one plug down and got the same results with the ignition on, but not cranked.

So I began cranking the engine and the fuel began to flow continuously. Without a fuel pressure gauge I could only assume this was not the problem. Great.

Still no spark so I went back online looking for clues(throughout the day I attempted to find a Service manual-special order only none in stock from any dealerships, and no bookstores had the chiltons). Read something about the ECU could be thinking the engine was flooded. Was a long shot but I thought it was worth a shot.Put everything back together and floored the gas pedal.Cranked it for a few seconds. At then very end I miraculously began feeling those 'bumps' again. Ahah-something changed.Cranked the engine for a solid 10 seconds and it started to hiccup, then caught over and it was alive again.Drove it all day yesterday and it didn't have any problems.

So before I go nuts here, what the heck happened?Did the ECU think the initial stall was a flood condition? Did all I have to do is stick my foot on the floor and crank again?

Sorry for the long post!

Shawn

Boehm

Happens sometimes to me. Sometimes when it's warm, sometimes cold, sometimes raining, sometimes dry.

Once after loosing all my coolant and almost overheating, but usually from a fresh start.

No ecu codes. Just about 117 k miles.

Explination: Old Nissans are tempermental.

b240

ok , i dont know *that* much , but when your trying to turn it over what are the rpms doing? normal? really low , then it dies? I had a simliar problem , where when i would start it up the rpms would go REAL low and almost die forcing me to give it alot of gas for it to warm up and idle normal..My problem: a ground wire from the block to the firewall was worm out , i replaced that with a 12 gauge wire and it starts up nicely now...=]

Shawn240SX

Just an update:Haven't had any more starting problems with the car this last week.

Been searching the newsgroups for information and it all leads to the computer thinking the car was 'flooded'. If it happens again, next time before I do ANYTHING to it I'm going to mash my foot on the pedal and try cranking the engine.

Shawn

Thesil

this morning, after a few hours outside in the cold engine rumbles and dies after a few seconds... what else could be the problem or is it just the cold?

dorifkin

I am having a similar problem with my s13 but its different from yours. It'll start up for 4-5 seconds but will bog and shut off.

However, I can say this. My '99 Sentra sat at home for one whole damn week because of the SAME, I mean ditto, problem you had. It would shake randomly wanting to start but would not start. I had it towed to Pep Boys (I know, :rolleyes ) but as soon as it came off the truck it started right up. My only explanation is that the degree at which the truck held my car helped move some fuel that may have been stuck somewhere along the intake runners. Stupid guess but thats just me.;) I have heard of Maximas and Altimas with this same problem with noone knowing what the heck is the matter.

Sheraz

dorifkin

by the way the sentra had this problem a half a year ago in hot atlanta weather and is running fine since then.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”