engine wont idle

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
crackbaby69

just bought a 82 datsun 720 2wd
okay so it runs but once it warms up it wont idle, it will saty running once i give it gas. any ideas? was thinking maybe carb needs cleaning or vacume leak.

crackbaby69

so decided to see if i could get a little more info on the problem.

i started it up idled fine. let it warm up still idled fine. drove it for a fe mins fine , then all of sudden started t not want to idle again so wen i came to stop lights it would shut out. someone plz give me some ideas

XavierBK
Car: 2011 Yamaha Stryker
1985 Nissan 720

Sounds like the one I just picked up. Check your fuel filters to be sure they aren't clogged and you may want to check your float bowl sight glass to see that it has fuel in it, that will tell you how well your pump is working.

crackbaby69

thanks for the info ill check it later on this eve.

so is your truck back to running rite?

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

CHeck that you are getting proper fuel flow, for sure. Vacuum leak would make sense as well.

crackbaby69

put some fuel treatment stuff in the gas tank today and used carb clean on it for like 20 mins. drove it this eve and its not dying. still drops low but not actually cutting out. will try to look more into it this weekend. i apreciate ur help

Brandon.Fair

Crackbaby69 what the verdict? I am having similar issues starts fine but wont idle unless foot on the pedal. it was running ok. it was bogging down when I went passed 1/3 throttle when I first bought is. today it ran really well, no bogging, then I was pulling into work when it cut off. now it wont idle. FML need to get this fixed Very soon as it will soon be my only method of trans

Return to “Datsun 720”