engine trouble, please help

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
280hp
Car: racing , women and sports

I have changed the water pump, head gasket, water temp sensor and the thermostat. I also upgraded to a bigger fan (electric) with a temp sensor to regulate it.all this and i am still over heating.if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

I am also running very rich, I had custom piping made for the inter cooler to ensure no vaccumm leaks and i have a front mount i/c. I just cant figure out why it is running so rich.

also if anyone can tell me where i can get a chip for my car.

thank you to any one who can help me out or to anyone who at least is cool enough to try.

Victor Garcia 92 - 240sx(ca18det)

drjohn

It could be the radiator has restricted flow down inside the cooling tubes that can't be seen. If you are running an intercooler in front of the radiator you may need a three row rad. to disapate the heat better.

maxpsi

White smoke coming out of the exhaust when you shift the gears after getting on it little bit? If it is, then headgasket is bad.

Many times with many motors, especially Nissans, the motor has to "burp" after replacing the water pump and/or thermostat. it will usually run hot and then very hot for a few sec to minutes, then all of the sudden have a small "burp" and then start back to running cool and should never run hot again. This is very typical of all Nissan motors. if you arent letting it get hot enough to "burp", then you havent let it sit long enough. Another questionable is, the thermostat. Make sure you didnt get any RTV on the thermostat when installing. Make sure the thermostat is in, in the correct position facing upwards. Also, some of the 4 cyl motors have a bleeder screw in the water oulet housing up top. Some people open the valve when the motor is hot so they dont have to wait until it "burps."

Running rich in gas? Many things could be wrong. Ca18dets can be rough to tune right sometimes. Are you sure you have a ca18det ECU, make sure it is a turbo ecu also. Get the number off the side of it and call JWT with the number. They can tell you if it is or not. Did you upgrade your injectors? Are you running an FMU on top of what you have? It should be a requirement for anyone with a turbo Nissan to run an Apex S-AFC. It will tell you if you are running lean etc so you will know where to tune.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”