Engine Swap 92 Maxima SE VE30DE

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
bakpacrob
Car: 1992 Nissan Maxima SE

Recently swapped a motor for one from Japan. Although time consuming I eventually get the motor in. It was rough to start and drove alright with just minor adjustements to the front drive line. THere is one plug that I cant find a match to on the driverside back by the fuel filter. I drove it across town to my house and later when I went to get in the car It would not start. It sat all night and I again tried to start it and it started and again when I parked the car it would not start. Any suggestions as where to start looking for the problem?

Chris92SE
Car: 2017 QX30
2003 Pathfinder LE

There are some parts from the JDM engine that are different from the USDM engine.

One is the cam position sensor. The USDM one is plastic and the JDM one is metal and shaped differently. I don't know if this is required to change, but everyone I know that has swapped, put the USDM one in.

Another thing is the coolant temp sensor. Apparently, they are different and you need to buy one from NAPA or use your old one. They are like $20, so most people just buy a new one.

The IACV is also different, but functions the same. Sometimes the JDM ones are full of crud, so it's usually a good idea to swap that over, too and clean the USDM one.

Double check all of your connectors and hoses. Also look over the sensors and make sure none of them are damaged and the plugs aren't coroded. Shipping these engines, sometimes they take some hits and the aren't used for long periods, which gives some of the sensor plugs time to corrode.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”