Engine studder and die

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Dodger1203
Car: 1997 I-30

Hello, this is my first post and I just want to let everyone know....Yes, I did go through the archives and look for an answer before posting. I did find some good things that i tried. :)
So here is the issue: 1997 Infiniti I-30
Several weeks ago the engine felt like it was missing. It really felt like either fuel, spark or air related. I had to ,at times and stop lights, keep one food on brake and one foot on gas to keep the engine speed up so it wouldn't die. So first thing i did was replace the spark plugs and one of them was worn down so much there was hardly any electrode left. That did not solve it, next suspect was the fuel pump. I could not find the correct wires to use and test it, so i just replaced it and the fuel filter under the hood, still same problem. I had someone read the OBD-II. I erased what it said but from what I remember it was: Oxygen sensor bank 1, Oxygen sensor bank 2 and the knock sensor. From what I read about the knock sensor seemed like a good candidate, so I replaced it too. while I was there I noticed that the valve cover gaskets were leaking, which might explain why it felt like it had no compression or weak compression. So I did the front and back gaskets and they were cracked and stiff, very bad. Also when i too the Intake manifold off I noticed the PCV (I think) was completely clogged with soot so I cleaned those off and out as best I could without dropping that crap down the pipe and while i was there I cleaned the throttle body. So a quick run down:
1) Fuel pump and under hood filter- Replaced
2) Spark plugs- Replaced
3) Knock sensor- Replaced
4) Valve cover gaskets- Replaced and cleaned out the PCV valve
After putting all back together, I noticed some hesitation around 2k rpm. And at the first traffic light engine died while turning. It started right back up, like always. I had a tech read the OBD-II again and again all the same codes, even the knock sensor. On my way to work this morning........... no problem at all, nothing.......
Thanks guys, a whole lot.
Dodger

turbo_bink
Car: 1999 Maxima SE-L

Many times the KS DTC is simply triggered by another issue ... that one (the KS error), IMO, should be left for last as it’s likely not real.

I’d have a look at the ignition coils ... both a physical inspection of their condition as well as some testing. An ignition issue, like mis-fire, will trigger the KS DTC.

Dodger1203
Car: 1997 I-30

I thought about that too but the OBD-II should ready that those are faulty, right? How do I test the ignition coils? I inspected them when i had them out for valve cover gasket. They looked fine. haha. famous last words......

turbo_bink
Car: 1999 Maxima SE-L

A misfire and/or malfunctioning coil pack won't generate a DTC in all instances, so don't be fooled by a no-code situation.

If you've inspected the coil assemblies and everything "looks" fine then consider moving on the testing.

As far as coil assembly inspection goes, make sure to have looked at the condition of the coil to e-connector connections; the connection of the coils themselves with the coil boots; the condition of the coil boots themselves and the condition of the springs inside the boots.

Here's an adequate overview of coil pack testing:

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/01/how ... tion-coil/

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”