Engine Starting Issue

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
GTSRolla34
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S

I have a '92 S13 with a nearly stock ka24de (have swapped the intake cam for an exhaust cam). I recently had to change the headgasket and have been having issues getting the car to start again. I have verified that I get spark and fuel, but the engine won't even sputter. While I was verifying if the injectors were spraying I pulled them away from the intake manifold (with less than a 1/4" gap between the grommets and the tip of the injector. I cranked the car to see if the injectors would spray and it started insanely fast and idled with no signs of stalling. When I reinstalled the injectors and tried to start it, I got nothing. It really has me stumped. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm at work right now so if anyone needs more info, let me know and I'll fill in any blanks. Thanks everyone.

H00NIGAN
Car: 1989 Coupe

Need o2 to ignite fuel...sounds like not enough air.. recheck all connections and sensors,grounds,ect. Make sure you cams are set correctly. When you do the dual exhaust cams the intake cam gear has to be set 4 teeth counter clockwise from the oem timing mark..

GTSRolla34
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S

I have the exhaust cam on the intake side set correctly. I redrilled the pin location in the cam gear. The car ran for 3 years with that setup. I really don't understand how with everything installed and buttoned up it won't start....but with the injectors pulled away from their grommets a 1/4" it will start and run. Where before the injectors would it be cutting off that much air and not supplying it.

H00NIGAN
Car: 1989 Coupe

MAF?

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”