Engine running rich - '94 D21 - Also general maintenance

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
LazerD21
Car: 1994 Nissan D21 XE

Just got done tearing apart the interior of my 1994 XE, 4 cyl 2WD (134K miles, ka24 mostly stock) to replace old body plugs and get rid of a mouse nest... Now that I'm in the fix my s*** mode, I would love to get some insight or links to other posts from you creatures.

Plethora of issues consist of:
  • Engine running rich - White smoke when warming up, smells a bit like gas
  • Slight ticking in the engine
  • Losing some coolant. It's going somewhere, but oil looked good when changing

Things done to the truck recently:
  • Oil change yesterday
  • Temp sensor change
  • Air Flow sensor replace (the one under the air filter box)

I'm far from a mechanic so any other general maintenance suggestions are welcome too. Haven't changed transmission oil yet but that's on the list.
Also, don't have the owners manual and I can't find it online so any tips on where to find is also welcome.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

LazerD21 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:06 pm
  • Engine running rich - White smoke when warming up, smells a bit like gas
  • Slight ticking in the engine
  • Losing some coolant. It's going somewhere, but oil looked good when changing

Check compression. If the oil wasn't fuel-contaminated, then your white smoke probably isn't injectors. It's entirely possible to have a head gasket leak that penetrates the cooling jacket but not the oil gallery, and it sounds like that may be your issue.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

I agree with VStar650CL sounds like coolant is entering the combustion chamber. POSSIBLY head gasket, cracked head or block. Where’s the engine temp at warmed up? Besides checking compression who might consider doing a leak down test on the cooling system by using a radiator testing tool.

LazerD21

whomadewho wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:53 am
I agree with VStar650CL sounds like coolant is entering the combustion chamber. POSSIBLY head gasket, cracked head or block. Where’s the engine temp at warmed up? Besides checking compression who might consider doing a leak down test on the cooling system by using a radiator testing tool.
Operating temp seems normal. Just half way constantly.
I have a FEELING it's coolant entering the combustion chamber, but i'm far from an experienced mechanic.
Any other good ways to test temp?

Think renting a radiator testing toolkit is a good idea?
Those compression testers seem easy and cheap.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

LazerD21 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:00 pm
Think renting a radiator testing toolkit is a good idea?
Those compression testers seem easy and cheap.
No, get a chemical color-change kit and see if there are combustion byproducts in the coolant. If you're not well-equipped, that's best-cheapest way.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

I would rent a coolant pressure tool. You need to purchase the tool like a fish needs a bicycle. How much coolant is the truck loosing? Test the radiator cap and look for exterior leaks. When you pull the plugs you can pressurize the cooling system, let the truck sit for awhile .... turn the engine over and observe if coolant is coming out of the plug holes or when starting the engine check tail pipe, for water vapor. Another thing to try. Check the coolant level, note the level. Remove the cap and install the tester leave iit in place. Apply pressure to the cooling system... With the engine running CAREFULLY watch the pressure and the Temperature gauge. Leave engine run for a few minutes. Turn engine off . Leave engine cool down ( DO NOT REMOVE OR RELEASE PRESSURE until completely cool. Restart vehicle and check tail pipe for water vapor. Usually when hot exhaust gases leak into the cooling system the engine will overheat. Again if the radiator cap is not holding pressure the coolant may escape from the cap.

macgiver

Tons of good suggestions here . I remember , in the yesteryear , that when we rebuilt SB Chevys , the coolant getting into combustion chamber ( in significant amounts of course ) would create thick - James Bond -like dense white smoke ( lest some oil burning there too ).A white cloud the size of a garage!!! But not blue , nor white/blue, BUT a freakin opaque white smoke screen . Old timer explained it to me.

So , maybe putting a SUPER concentrated coolant ( probly need old school ie. prestone ) into car . Ya go drain what's there , and NOW you can use that exhaust gas test kit on the drainage .Unconclusive on the test ? NOW you fill with like 1 1/2 to 2 GALLONS of straight 100% antifreeze .............and look for this smoke :crazy: No ?

p.s. Cost of this antifreeze is a liitle more than the exhaust test kit ?? and waaaaaay less than PURCHASING THE PREESURE TOOLS or even a rental of such thereof :yesnod

macgiver

Also a "Lever-Vent " cap will allow the exhaust gases to pass thru cap , with lever UP , bubbles will be seen in overflow resvr. Reason for choosing a Lever-Vent cap is because a cap IS needed to pass thru into overflow resvr.
BUT , when using a std. cap of nominal 12-14lb ' release it MAY NOT PASS GAS (exhaust Gas :rotflmao) on thru with that kind of cap and into overflow resvr., ya know ?
When Lever is UP ......it only probly takes less than ONE POUND pressure to " blow thru " , right ? ;)

cost = like $ 12.99 :facepalm:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

$27, basically zero chance of error and no screwing around.

https://www.harborfreight.com/combustio ... 64814.html

macgiver

Wow VStar , that's brilliant , what a find , I'm sold - will make a mental note of that , learned something HUGE here !!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Happy to help as always. :)

LazerD21

Thank you all for the replies!

It was the Tstat. Just replaced it and.... broke the bottom bolt to the tstat housing because like a dope

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”