Engine rebuild issues

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Slyshell
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe

So to the point. The mechanic that was helping my son rebuild his 2005 G35 engine was arrested and does not seem to be getting out anytime soon. Needless to say I have a mostly completed engine that has been put back together. But as I am attempting to pick up where this guy has left off, I have come across some issues that concern me on the quality of the work done. I found a broken timing chain guide and when I went to put the camshaft covers on apparently they need to be bolted in from the timing chain side as well so I had to take all that apart and that is when I noticed the guide was broken too.
Well I have now reset the timing chains all o. Their marks the engine is on TDC as the the lobes on 1 are pointing up and the crankshaft marks are all aligned.

My concern is that before I start putting the timing cover back on etc I want to hand turn the engine a few times before I continue just to make sure nothing is going to jam etc. I put the crankshaft pulley back on the sprocket and its all aligned.Tightened the bolt and all but when the bolt has been torqued all the way in and I try to turn the engine it doesn’t move. I don’t want to break the bolt so I have not attempted to apply a lot of force to try and turn it yet. My question is should it be this hard to turn and is it ok to apply more force on the bolt? If so how much more before I run the risk of the bolt snapping which I wan to avoid.

By chance I notice he had already installed the new clutch onto the back of the engine as well. Could that possibly be the reason I can’t turn it?

It’s been years since I’ve rebuilt an engine and I am quite rusty on some of the steps.

Also I am checking the clearance on the cams on the cylinders and 2 are reading at .09 is that going to be an issue later on. Because I really just wan to get the darn car back together and running for now because this job is going on 3 months now and my stress level is off the chain.
Ty Michelle

Evergreentrees
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 S 6spd M/T

Why are you doing this without the FSM open? You really do need the pdfs for all the torquing specs at the minimum and especially in the case of engine work will let you know all acceptable tolerances and clearances

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Lots to digest here, but if the clutch was not aligned properly, it will bind up on the flywheel and hold the rotating assembly.

Also, plugs should be out of the engine when turning it over manually.

Since you don't know what was done internally (or if it was done right), a compression test it probably in order once you get the engine to rotate.

Definitely get the FSM (at infinitiservicemanual.com) and have it available for reference.

Slyshell

I do have the FSM open. I figured it out though, and it turns perfectly. I found a bolt on the clutch/driveplate that was too long so changed it out and solved the issue.
I checked the timing, it’s on TDC and has excellent compression.

My issue is that I’m having to takeover someone else’s work. And let’s just say the organization is somewhat lacking. I have experience in doing this but it has been years and I’m just getting too old and it’s a lot harder for me than it was 10 years ago.
So if anyone one here lives in Las Vegas NV would like a side job helping me finish this car, please let me know I will pay you and feed you too. I have all the tool needed and currently getting ready to put on the transmission to the engine then hopefully be ready to slide the whole thing back into the car.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I have someone you should reach out to. I'm not sure if he'll be interested or if he has time, but I'd trust him with anything I own.

Patrick at http://www.highimpactlv.com/
(702) 644-0284

Slyshell

Thank you I will be calling him first thing tomorrow morning! Thank you for taking the time to answer my posts and all the advice. I’ll keep you posted.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”