Engine rebuild brand recommendations

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
LeftHandedCat

Hello, I have a 1991 300zx NA and I've decided to do a minor overhaul with new rings, and bearings as well as the head gasket and intake gaskets. For head and top end gaskets I'm planning on using a Fel-Pro HS 9703 PT gasket set, for bearings I'm thinking a king bearing CR6676XPSTDX, and I'm not sure what I'm using for rings. I chose the parts above because I know the brands and I can get them for a good price from my parts guy.

What I'm wondering is whether these are a good buy(I'm familiar with the brand but not this engine) and what you guys recommend for rings, I feel like a weisco set or other 150 dollar ring set is too much money for a stock na application, but the only ring sets I can find for less than 100 bucks are all the cheap 25 dollar no name brands and I dont trust those, anyone have a recommendation?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Be careful with Wiseco, they may be too narrow since made for hi-perf. Check your OEM thickness. Make sure you know whether you have to size them as to gap too, hi-perf often want that and assembling without doing it tears the engine up quick.

Sealed Power or Hastings could work for stock replacement rings, you need to look carefully at your old ones and get the same type, the top ring often varies. Like cast iron or moly top, or chromed and even some second rings are moly (double moly). Get if possible the same setup the OEM had.

Lightly hone the block if changing the rings, you need a slight scuff up to break the new ring surface in.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Under the circumstances you mention and considering amc49's excellent advise, I would use one of our excellent vendors to buy a set of rings as they will be selected for your vehicle. CZP, Z1, any of the usual lot sell pistons and rings for our cars, and for many different levels of performance and with competitive pricing usually.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Safe bet is to go all OEM. The OEM components for these cars are top notch. It's unlikely you will be able to "budget" build it more than OEM stuff. Regardless, as DCaff said, talk to the vendors, most will give you great advise and work with you. My favorites are SpecialtyZ and ImportPartsPro.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”