Engine performance when really hot outside

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

So today was a really hot day today, like 20 degrees and on top of that I did about 2 1/2 to 3 hours of stop and go traffic straight with a bit of highway.

I didn't use the AC just rolled down windows

So as you guys can guess the car really warmed up.

But at the tail end of the 2 1/2 hours the engine feels "softer" for a lack of better term....it doesn't have the same giddy up as when in the morning or evening and not as warm.

It picks up better and acceleration is tighter when cooler etc...

Is it normal that an engine feels a little less powerful on hot days after a few hours of driving....like sluggish and not as powerful as when cool.
Modified by Couz at 6:12 PM 5/23/2009

philipa_240sx

Couz, your issue is one of the basic fundamentals of the internal combustion engine:

When air temperature drops, it becomes more dense. Denser air allows the engine computer to add more fuel (to maintain a constant air/fuel ratio) and produce more power.

Hotter and consequently thinner air has the opposite effect: It reduces engine power.

Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Man you know your stuff Philipa...your awesome dude !!

I left at 730AM this morning and the car had the pep I liked, and at 2 PM an hour into my stop and go city driving it didn't feel as peppy anymore, acceleration wasn't as smooth as in the morning or night, felt more sluggish.

As you guessed it was hot....engine was a bit noisier too.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Couz wrote:So today was a really hot day today, like 20 degrees ...

I wonder how you will describe temperature in July and August?

For those who don't know Canada (yet!), please refer this kind of days as nice, enjoyable (I did my first swim in the pool yesterday), and a little bit on the warm side.

philipa_240sx

Power loss is also common for those who live/drive at higher elevations. Ie. the mountains of B.C. or Colorado. The thinner air does make for a noticeable difference.

When I used to race SOLO1, I always preferred cooler days as my old 240SX race car (that's where my forum name comes from), made more power.

Sigh, I think I need a weekend toy again... maybe a 370Z?

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

philipa_240sx wrote:Sigh, I think I need a weekend toy again... maybe a 370Z?
The 370Z is frickin SWEET.

philipa_240sx

ahhbeebee wrote:The 370Z is frickin SWEET.
Especially since it was a Canadian born engineeer Randy Rodriguez who was instrumental in the design:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/...z.htm

Return to “Rogue Forum”