Engine or CVT noise while accelerating

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

I have about 3000 miles on my Rogue. I love it except for three things.

1. The engine or cvt noise while starting from a stop

2. The noise coming from the rear hatch area or tires

3. The CVT does not go into high gear until it warms up

Does anybody else have these same concerns?

2cv
Car: rogue s awd

1- when cold or push heavily on the gas ( when cold mostly and last only

till the time engine or cvt is warm but yes it is noisy )

2- on wet or snowy pavement ( is it quieter with the cargo cover ? )

3- only few minutes

i noticed these things too and i think it helps to drive slower and smoother

love the rogue too

philipa_240sx

Quote »1. The engine or cvt noise while starting from a stop[/quote]If you are referring to the high(er) constant engine rpm when accelerating, this is normal. It feels much different than a conventional automatic transmission and takes some getting used to.

Quote »2. The noise coming from the rear hatch area or tires[/quote]The OEM Continental 4x4 Contact tires are very noisy esp. on rough pavement. Also, the nature of a hatchback vehicle be it a wagon, SUV, CUV tends to amplify road & tire noises more than a sedan with a seperate trunk. I've driven my Altima with the rear seats folded down and the noise was even louder than the Rogue. My suggestion is to look for quieter all season tires.

Quote » 3. The CVT does not go into high gear until it warms up[/quote]This is part of the normal operation of the CVT. I notice it as well and it does shift to higher gears once warmed up.

fairges
Car: 2008 Rogue

I have encountered a similar noise - my Rogue has about 3500 miles. It almost appears that the gears are trying to catch up- that type of noise. It doesn't happen if I switch to manual transmission.

Is it the CVT and it works differently than a nomal transmission?

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

2cv wrote:i noticed these things too and i think it helps to drive slower and smoother
ditto.

Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

fairges wrote:I have encountered a similar noise - my Rogue has about 3500 miles. It almost appears that the gears are trying to catch up- that type of noise. It doesn't happen if I switch to manual transmission.

Is it the CVT and it works differently than a nomal transmission?

That's exactly what I hear, that rattle that you get when you your gears are too high for the speed your at.

philipa_240sx

Couz wrote: That's exactly what I hear, that rattle that you get when you your gears are too high for the speed your at.
Couz, that's not a rattle. The Rogue CVT deliberately shifts into high gear for better fuel economy. This results in a bit of vibration similar to driving a manual transmission vehicle in very high gear at low speeds. This is completely normal and has been well documented about in these forums.

The transmission noise discussed elsewhere on this forum sounds similar to shaking a paper cup full of marbles... or for you gamblers out there... a shaker cup with dice.

Couz

philipa_240sx wrote:
Couz, that's not a rattle. The Rogue CVT deliberately shifts into high gear for better fuel economy. This results in a bit of vibration similar to driving a manual transmission vehicle in very high gear at low speeds. This is completely normal and has been well documented about in these forums.

The transmission noise discussed elsewhere on this forum sounds similar to shaking a paper cup full of marbles... or for you gamblers out there... a shaker cup with dice.
Yeah, that's a good comparison.

I got used to the vibration last week but just the last couple days im hearing that noise you describe when i apply the gas while the tranny is in that higher gear, because i have my windows down for the first time.

well people were right when they said the cvt took getting used to.

thanks Philipa for the info...puts my mind at ease.

Couz

philipa_240sx wrote:

Hey Philip, just to be sure about this sound I'm getting.

Are you sure its normal?

That chatter that sounds like marbles being shaken in a can or something.

Why is it making that sound...do you know the reason?

Modified by Couz at 5:41 PM 4/20/2009
Modified by Couz at 8:31 PM 4/20/2009

philipa_240sx

The rattle sound is generally heard at parking lot speeds (<10 km/h). It's higher pitched.

Sounds like you are getting a different noise, especially if it's at higher speeds. If in doubt, take it to the dealer to have it checked.

Couz

philipa_240sx wrote:The rattle sound is generally heard at parking lot speeds (<10 km/h). It's higher pitched.

Sounds like you are getting a different noise, especially if it's at higher speeds. If in doubt, take it to the dealer to have it checked.
the sound appears when the car is in that vibration mode....as was mentioned its the sound that is similar to when a manual transmission is in too high a gear and you give it a big push of gas to pick it up or catch the gear....it happens rarely.

It doesnt happen at high speeds at all.

I thought you had mentioned its normal CVT noise to have, that's why I'm asking why you think it does that.

Its definitely not the "rattle" everyone talks about.

And bringing it to the dealer is useless because I'll never be able to re-create it.

Basically, does the CVT make some noises here and there that are normal function.

Modified by Couz at 7:34 AM 4/21/2009
Modified by Couz at 8:35 AM 4/21/2009

Couz

I remember reading a quote from one of the Nissan 'talking heads' (a VP of 'something important' but I can't remember what or who) about CVT rattle. He mentioned that it is normal for the slack side of the belt to rattle from time to time at given frequencies. At startup and especially at low speeds, also there is a normal 'chudder' that any transmission will give when the gear ratio is too high. I have a FWD model and notice all of the above sounds from time to time (but frankly only because there has been so much talk about them). A startup rattle (just after the engine starts for a second or less) is very common on my Rogue but I like others I am not concerned as I expect that the power-train warranty will take care of any problems. All vehicles have idiosyncrasies. So far no sounds I have heard on my Rogue has given me cause for concern. The CVT is new for most of us so there is little to go on in terms of whar is a normal noise. If it is loud, persistant, and quite noticeable there may be a problem. If you have to listen carefully and methodically perform specific actions (especially at low speeds or tall gear ratios) to get a hint of a rattle / viabration then I suspect it may be normal activity.

... or at least that is my view on various noises.

I found the above post on this board and it somewhat reasures me that what I hear may be normal CVT operation sounds.

The fact I need to roll down my window and really listen carefully for this sound also makes me think its just a normal CVT sound.

But I like getting some re-assurance.

Gotta say my first month with the Rogue has been ups and downs trying to come to grips with this CVT stuff...whats normal and whats not.

Other than that the car performs very well, good acceleration etc...

Return to “Rogue Forum”