Engine noises

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
zetajunkie

i rebuilt my engine. it started making a high pitched whining sound the 2nd or 3rd day of driving.  didn't think it was that big of a deal (haha), but would look into it when i got around to the valve adjustment, after the engine was broken in.  valves were only a bit out of wack.  but due to the miracle of not paying enough attention, the long thermosat housing bolt was snuggled up against the driver's side timing chain guide.  so close, in fact, that the top of the guide was notched by the chain, and the center of the guide was bowed out a good 2 inches... hahahaha

damn that extra long thermostat bolt.

71-521

did you shorten bolt and no more noise?

zetajunkie

haha, yeah, shortened the bolt, and beat the hell out of the guide rail, so now it is almost straight...  i haven't taken the timing cover off yet to replace the damaged piece yet, but i figure it still has a few thousand miles left on it...

the noise isn't completely gone, but now i can drive freeway speeds and have a conversation without yellling...

71-521

good catch...
next time I'm in Vegas to visit my kid, I'll have to look you and a few others up and check out the rigs...

zetajunkie

surely!  bring a trailer and take my parts truck too!  ;)

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”