Engine Noise/Vibration

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
kake

New to this forum, so please bear with me. Searched around but couldn't find anything specific related to my "concerns". Bought a 2010 Max back in Sept and all-in-all, I love it. However, I am noticing a few things that I hadn't noticed before and not sure if I was just oblivious to them earlier or what. So, my concerns are...

(1) The engine upon acceleration is really loud. Sort of like a droning noise. Seems like the firewall is wafer thin and I can hear way too much of the engine in the cabin. Acceleration doesn't have to be full throttle either...just normal acceleration is loud. Not sure if this is the CVT or what but definitely annoying. Also appears that the exhaust "note" is more from the front of the car than the middle to rear of the car from the perspective of one sitting in the cabin.

(2) Car feels sluggish when RPMs drop below 1500...sort of like the feeling of driving a manual in a higher gear than warranted. Once above 2000 or so, not a problem at all. Assume this is related to the CVT but wondering if this is "normal". At highway speeds, the Max really shines.

Not sure if I just need to get used to these quirks or if I have some type of problem. Will be going in for an oil change in a few hundred miles so will have them check it out.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

78datsunz
Car: '91 240sx vert, '09 Maxima, '78 280z Auto-x car

I have a 2009 Maxima that I have had for over a year. I am not really bothered by engine noise, but I am annoyed by a low rpm vibration. When ever the car is cruising a city speeds, with very light throttle, it vibrates my seat like it is in too high a gear for the speed...... driving me crazy. Of course the dealership says they are not aware of any issues with this. I think the cvt might need a tweek.

78datsunz

I have a 2009 Maxima that I have had for over a year. I am not really bothered by engine noise, but I am annoyed by a low rpm vibration. When ever the car is cruising a city speeds, with very light throttle, it vibrates my seat like it is in too high a gear for the speed...... driving me crazy. Of course the dealership says they are not aware of any issues with this. I think the cvt might need a tweek.

78datsunz

78datsunz

I also am experiencing the low rpm, vibration. It seems the gear ratio is too high for the speed, like trying to drive a car up a hill at 25mph in fifth gear. Very annoying when the rest of the rev range is silky smooth. I have asked my dealership and thy say they are unaware of any issues. I think we need to somehow let nissan know. This cant be right.

350zJdm
Car: 350z

Maybe your guys motor mounts are getting old. I had a buddy of mine who had the same problem and when we replaced his motor mounts it went away and now the car doesn't have a problem.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”