Engine makes knocking ONLY WHEN IDLING IN DRIVE OR REVERSE

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
Terrell617
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima Injen Cold Air Intake

Hey guys I have a question about my 2005 Nissan Altima. I recently discovered my valve cover gasket is leaking oil and I plan to change that soon. But just a few days ago my engine bay started making a knocking sound when i am idling In gear. For example at red lights. I haven't ran low on oil or coolant any suggestions. Also it is the left side of the valve cover gasket leaking . :)

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I think you'll want to get a better idea of where the 'knocking' sound comes from. You can pop the hood, start the car, have someone put the e-brake on and hold the brake pedal down hard, throw it in gear (forward or reverse) and let it idle or maybe give it a tiny bit of gas. While they do that, you're ear is under the hood, listening to the front, back, sides, transmission area, etc. See if you can't locate that sound a bit better. Rods knock, CV joints knock, Engines knock (ie Ping) um, I'm not sure what else knocks, banana? Now, if you had a ping sound type of knock, your knock sensor should be lighting up the CEL. Even if not lit, maybe check your cars computer for codes with an OBD-II scanner tool. Please let us know how it goes.

Welcome to NICO Club!

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”