engine knock

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
noahrocks1
Car: 2003 Nissan Murano

Back Drop, Earlier this year I replaced the motor in my Nissan Murano, with one from an 03 Maxima, I exchanged the intakes, injectors, and sensors. The reason for the swap was The old one needed valve guide seals as a result of poor maintenance (not mine, I got screwed on the deal, sorry *** Carmax). The new motor was great until, about 5 thousand miles ago (around 55,000 miles on that motor) my engine began to knock at start up. The noise is only at start up, only lasts for a second or two, and appears to be coming from the top side of the motor. Also, the noise is inconsistent, meaning that it’s not every time I start it up. Usually if the motor has been sitting for 30min or so, there is no noise, but even at that it doesn't make the noise every time any way, probably 80% or so. I called Nissan about the noise, explained it to them and was told the noise was more than likely from some slack in the timing chain and that it was common enough to be disregarded. It's been my experience that engines should not make noise, so I was wondering if there was any validity in Nissan’s reply to my concern…. Also, the motor is very clean, no sludge or even a slight build up of residue. I removed the valve covers for a thorough inspection before purchase and have taken fantastic care since.

Modified by noahrocks1 at 1:19 PM 8/29/2006

Return to “Murano Forum”