Engine getting too hot

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
TommyyJ

alright, well i thought my engine was gettin hot due to my fans not turning on or flowing enough air, i dont think this is the case, last nite while driving, my engine was warming up almost to overheating, not 2 mention it was about 40 degrees out here in chicago...so id like to find out what it could be? bad coolant? do i need it changed? thermostat stuck closed? what else...sometimes it heats up sometimes it doesnt...thanks for any help guys

Silviagirl79
Car: I love Silvias, Skylines, Soul Calibur II, and GT3

had this problem with my maxima. First off change the thermostat (15.00 for me), then if the car is still overheating and your fans are okay. You may need to hae your radiator inspected and/or replaced. i had to have mine replaced..because it was alll clogged up (due to me not changing my coolant often enough), also there was a hole on the top.

stickgoat

Definitely test your coolant first. Over time, the stuff wears down like oil and becomes less effective. A simple radiator flush might be the cure to your problem.

Also check under the car for coolant leaks from the water pump. When the pump on my Probe went out, the car overheated even though the coolant was fine...it was just leaking out too much to be effective.

Otherwise, I'd say thermostat.

TommyyJ

alright thanks everyone for such quick responses

im gonna test the coolant and thermostat tomorrow...hopefully its one of those two...

thanks again

nismo240sx
Car: tuning and being cool

change the water pump check that too

bruinbear714

My friend's 240 is also overheating and we've flushed out the system a few times, replaced the thermostat at least twice, replaced the water pump, replaced the two main radiator hoses, and bled out the air each time. The car would drive normal for the first few minutes and then suddenly go near the overheat zone within a few seconds. Still haven't figured out what the problem is though, but then again I havn't really dug into the car yet.

technoman
Car: puss

bruinbear714 wrote:My friend's 240 is also overheating and we've flushed out the system a few times, replaced the thermostat at least twice, replaced the water pump, replaced the two main radiator hoses, and bled out the air each time. The car would drive normal for the first few minutes and then suddenly go near the overheat zone within a few seconds. Still haven't figured out what the problem is though, but then again I havn't really dug into the car yet.

Sounds like its blocked up I would recommend having the radiator cleaned. by a radiator shop. Check to see if there is any flow.

bruinbear714

Oh yeah one more thing I forgot to mention is that there are two smaller hoses going from the thermostat housing back into the block somewhere (they are under the intake manifold). The smaller of the two doesn't heat up at all, while the bigger one of the two gets hot. Also, the main radiator hose going into the thermostat housing stays cool even when the engine is overheating. Only when the the engine is turned off does the water around the thermostat area gets hot enough to open it since the water pump isn't pushing water around.

technoman
Car: puss

you need to check for flow...

Silviagirl79
Car: I love Silvias, Skylines, Soul Calibur II, and GT3

bruinbear714 wrote:My friend's 240 is also overheating and we've flushed out the system a few times, replaced the thermostat at least twice, replaced the water pump, replaced the two main radiator hoses, and bled out the air each time. The car would drive normal for the first few minutes and then suddenly go near the overheat zone within a few seconds. Still haven't figured out what the problem is though, but then again I havn't really dug into the car yet.

Well seems like you've covered everything. Time to REPLACE your CLOGGED radiator now!!

macdaddy
Car: bulding cars

I just had an over heating problem but my problem was a little more obvious. I could smell anti freeze but couldent tell quite where it was comming from but the front of the engine was a little wet and when i would rev the engine the temp would drop so the likly cause would be the pump. how ever I noticed that the temp gage would go from norm to hot in a matter of a couple of seconds, I dont think water can heat up that fast! any way I replaced the pump and the over heating problem went away but the system still is'ent bulding any presure. I presurized the system with a coolent system tester to 20psi and found a coolent leak at the thermistat housing ( which uses no gasket from the factory) and figured this must be the problem. but no luck,still no presure I went to the simpleest cause and replaced the cap. still no luck . but at least its not over heating anymore

TommyyJ

found my problem, coolant had to be flushed, all is good so far...

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”