Engine cranks gets stuck as if it's being pulled back like a horse

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Trimmer19
Car: Nissan 240sx s13 300bhp gangster

:werd: unfortunately engine was running, changed iacv and never fired again. Have changed iacv back to original. Iac doesbt have a gaaket but that shouldnt atop it from firing I guess.. Now the engine cranks and sops almost sounds as if a record player is being pulled back only best way I can describe this sound.

Any ideas on what could cause it to crank and not fire??? Have even tried another ecu turbonoz stge1 still same old code 55!!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Well, start with the basics... you're either not getting enough air or not getting the correct amount of fuel.
Does it help if you depress the throttle at all? Can you pour some gas down a vacuum line and see if it helps?

Trimmer19

Thanks Smurf,

I've done full top end rebuild, all torque to specs. Cars running stage 2 setup. Gt28r turbo, 444cc stge2ecu, r33 fmic. Straight through exhaust.

I don't think its fuel now cause all plugs are covered in fuel, leaning towards either air or or spark possibly.

Checked air connections intercooler vac lines all seem ok.

If WOT engine sounds deep but no fire. Checked coils same volts all around no codes on ecu. Pulled spark plugs yesterday all are covered in fuel. Thinking now maybe needs colder plugs but not 100% on that 1 because I've installed a bigger gt28r turbo. Dont know why else it wouldnt fire all of a sudden, timing checked.

I put in clean splitfire platinum plugs and it started was running ok few days back slight pinging on slow revs down almost preignition sound from within the engine. But was idling. 1 thing we noticed pulled vac line off fpr no difference. Sure, fpr needs to be changed but does that cause plugs to be wet all 4 and not start? However when it was running idle was very high so we pinched fmic pipe to steady idle lol. Can't be maf cause disconnected it still the same🤔 engine just cranks plugs totally wet CS adjusted to see if it would fire retard/advance still no fire.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Sounds like you're getting way too much fuel. EIther tune it out, adjust fuel pressure, or pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it to confirm if it fires.
Smell your oil. If it smells like gas, change it out.

Cone Killer
Car: 1991 240sx

Trimmer19 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am
I've done full top end rebuild
I would go back check the setting the cams and engine to make sure everything is TDC. Just one tooth off on a cam gear will cause major headaches. I know it sucks to have to pull the valve cover, but might as well make sure everything is set correctly, that way you can rule out the cam settings.
Last edited by Cone Killer on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cone Killer
Car: 1991 240sx

Delete
Last edited by Cone Killer on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

What is your ignition timing like? Did it get moved around?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If you are getting a mechanical noise from the engine likely engine damage or starter damage. Compression test.

Fouled plugs says engine being turned over too much with no start or worse whopping fuel calculation error. Colder plug will wet even faster but has nothing to do with stone cold starting. Wet the cylinder walls enough to remove the oil and wall damage coming up, I've seen somebody crank enough an engine that would not fire to wear the cam lobes off of brand new cams. Once the plugs are wet they must be cleaned or dried or it never will start.

Engine kicking back says timing advance all screwed up and too much.

That IAC better seal in SOME fashion or a vacuum leak.

Trimmer19

right cars firing up now and idling pretty good abit high 1400sh. Redone comp test, advanced cas almost 45degrees and retarded back slowly. Thing is cas tip that fits onto exhaust cam was broken so I lined up the marks and set cas.

Problem I've come across now is, slow revs it will rise to 3500rpm and get stuck there.. unless I give some more throttle in which case im forcing more air in and it will then go up all the way. I'm not sure what's causing the revs to kind of max out at 3500rpm unless giving more gas won't go past that.🤔. What do you guys think what could cause this as it hesitates when reaching this mark in 1st gear like pulls back if change to 2nd gear and will go up slightly. Boost kicks in and very quickly gets sucked back??? Really appreciate the help here folks..

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Slow ignition or cam timing. You need to get your major timings set and in place quick, I've seen many engines blown up by those that think they can simply move timings by ear or feel to get to the correct spot. Stock engines will put up with some of that but high output ones will tear up in a minute. Things like running an engine 45 degrees off are DEADLY.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”