Engine cleaners/additives

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
JJM158
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 S

I was looking into some additives for my engine being high mileage and to "restore" engine performance? What are some recommendations. Was already looking into cleaning throttle body and maybe a fuel injector cleaner...

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Modern gasoline and oils have detergents and cleaners built in. There are very few additives that will improve engine performance and because none of the additive makers are willing to actually state how much of any particular cleaner is actually in their formulas. you will never know if it's worth adding in the first place. Our engines perform best with 93 octane. They will run on lower octane with no damage, but you lose performance and gas mileage. I was a fan of SeaFoam and Redline until they were debunked scientifically. Now I'm a purist of sorts. I keep my MAF sensors cleaned, change my air filters regularly, and maintain all fluids per schedule or earlier. I also check the TPMS to make sure all four tires are inflated properly. I have tires rotated twice per year and get an alignment yearly. I use synthetic Mobil-1 and Mobil-1 synthetic oil filters. I also keep my truck as empty as possible. It's a trunk, not a portable garage and every extra pound will decrease efficiency. As engines age, they will lose some HP and performance. There is nothing you can add to fuel or oil, nothing you can clean or replace that can roll back time. Cleaning the throttle body is good, but make sure it's done properly. Other than that, make sure you maintain everything and never buy parts other than Nissan / Inifniti. Many companies make 'compatible' parts but they do not always match as well as what came with the car. You can find Nissan / Infiniti parts online at much lower prices than the dealers charge and you can match actual per numbers to be sure you buy the right one.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I do a maintenance dose of Seafoam with every oil change (like 2-3 cap fulls) and my OCI is 5kmi. Larz, do you have the debunking articles? Would be curious to read them.

I also change my air filters every 15kmi (cabin as well) which may be overkill but they aren't a huge expense.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

I add a can of Seafoam every other oil change. Where I do know Seaform works is in cleaning the fuel level equipment. With my M35x, about every 5000 miles it would not fill completely up and would not read full either. I would add a can of Seaform and before I needed to fill up again, it fixed the problem. I haven't seen the same problem with the Q70, but I add it anyway. I guess that I figured that if it was cleaning the stuff in the tank(s) so well, then it might be helping with the rest of the fuel delivery system.

I agree with what Larz says in terms of sticking to OEM parts, too, but I'm not 100% OEM. I like Brakemotive brakes better than the OEM ones, both for looks and stopping in the rain. I also purchase Wix oil filters, where I used to buy the Nissan ones religiously. Finally, I've replaced most of my smaller bulbs with VLED bulbs and they look 100% better than the ones that came with the car.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Ilya wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:18 pm
I do a maintenance dose of Seafoam with every oil change (like 2-3 cap fulls) and my OCI is 5kmi. Larz, do you have the debunking articles? Would be curious to read them.

I also change my air filters every 15k mi (cabin as well) which may be overkill but they aren't a huge expense.
I stopped using Seafoam when I realized it had no PEA concentrate. I switched to Redline to get the advantage of PEA cleaners. Perhaps calling them 'debunked' was a bit harsh. I was never able to find clear scientific proof that either of them actually 'does' anything. Mind you, my butt dyno is convinced they do. I am 100% confident that neither of them can do any harm when used correctly, but I stopped using them and I haven't noticed a difference. The only thing I can confirm about Seafoam is that is is designed to absorb water in the tank - which is why boaters use it. Other than that, they will NOT provide a list of ingredients or confirm in writing what it can do for an actual petrol automotive engine. If they won't actually state clearly that it cleans auto engine injectors, etc than I see no point in using it.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”