Engine Choices

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

WDRacing wrote:But I also love the VH45 out of the Infiniti Q45. Since I can purchase an entire car for the price of the LS1 motor/tranny set. It's very light, has DOHC's and can be revved to 7800 easy with a simple valve spring swap.WD
Ive been reading about the VH45 more and more. I really like the idea of a V8 powered S chassis, and this seems to be a great choice.

Its biggest advantage over the LS1 is cost (like Brian said). Its all aluminum and from what Ive seen weighs about 500lbs with accessories. Add in the Z32 5spd (weight?) and youve got a nice combo. Slim's VH-TT powered Z32 has been running strong for about 3 years with stock internals.

The downside is the lack of aftermarket parts. Cams and forged pistons (if building up for major power) are hard if not impossible to find. But the heads flow pretty well and the VH forum mentions some off the shelf valve springs to help it rev higher. Mettler just custom fabbed a nice set of headers and I'm eager to see how they perform. And a few members from down under have fabbed up dual plenum intake manifolds. I'd love to try some ITB's on the VH. The early VHs (90-93) make over 300hp at the crank. I'd be satisfied with a nice 300whp with bolt ons.

I think the key here is finding a nice lightweight (aluminum) motor. The LS1 is a proven swap with great aftermarket. I wish there was an affordable 6 cylinder out there. The RWD VQ35 is too expensive and the FWD VQ's are a little too involved for me. I didnt realize the GM I5 was aluminum. That might be a great choice as I'm sure GM has sold plenty of them so they shouldnt cost an arm and a leg.

BTW, just noticed this forum. Excellent idea. +1 for NICO!

Reno
Car: 89 S13, boosted.. RAWR..

LS8 FTW 8 liters j/k

Bwana
Car: Denali

Here's a link that outlines the modern casting techniques used in making the GM i 4/5/6. There are a few guys running them turbo'd over 600whp with little to no internal work.

http://www.castsolutions.com/pdf/Engine_2004.pdf

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Getting my funds together. Was going to do vg30dett swap, but I'm leaning towards vh45de now

Swedish Mike
Car: Golf TDI, Volvo 850T5 and 200sx S13 Hatch

I will build a Volvo 2.3 T5 powered S13 as my next project, love the sound and performance.Very light weight, high tech solutions, solid lifters, best head I´ve seen and love high revs.

Some info:

*The engine is built in perfect surfaced "floors" without gaskets, only liquid gasket you roll on.*The crank is well supported by an entire block part, no loose bearing "holders".*Same with the cams, a big block holding them down with 40 screws.*Stock pistons can handle over 600 hp but you need to swap rods.*The head and N/A cams flow well over 500 hp without porting.*Came 94 with hydraulic lifters and heavy internals but got light solid lifters and lighter crank (4 kg´s) in 99. Also better head and block.*Stock manifold can flow at least 600 hp without EGT problems.*Stock intake manifold and N/A TB can flow 700+hp.

The closest to a custom race machine I´ve seen. Designed by Porsche.

One other good thing, the diesel block fit the T5 head. A bullit proof block ready for at least 1000 hp.The 300 hp 2.5 R engine got thinner cylinder walls but ok up to 700 hp.

All numbers in this post is proven and used in cars for years.

Sorry guys but this engine is all I need, just love them...

Edit: Kinda bad vid but some I5 sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6YwIN2IQc

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Thats actually a pretty kickass idea Mike, what type of tranny would you use though? If you're serious, make this idea a seperate thread. I'd love to discuss other then GM idea's. I know you've got some mad knowledge I can tap into as well.

Make sure you post some links for me to get info from.

Awsome video, anytime you lose traction over 45-50mph is a good time.

WD

Swedish Mike

WDRacing wrote:Thats actually a pretty kickass idea Mike, what type of tranny would you use though? If you're serious, make this idea a seperate thread. I'd love to discuss other then GM idea's. I know you've got some mad knowledge I can tap into as well.

Make sure you post some links for me to get info from.

Awsome video, anytime you lose traction over 45-50mph is a good time.

WD
I will start a project thread as soon as I find a car, looking right now.

We got a company here making adaptor plates for BMW tranny, the M3 ZF box can handle mad torque and power. We´ve seen it handle 1000hp and 1000Nm so far...The same box as we use in Nissans, they make adaptors to CA and SR as well.The Volvo 960 tranny is bolt on but max 400hp, we use BMW after that.

My buddy got the car in that vid, only aftermarket parts are rods, 3" and injectors.Volvo truck turbo (HX40), truck IC and N/A cams and TB. Made a middle 11 without LSD, cool for a family car.

Bwana

That's a sweet idea Mike, verry interesting...

What about the northstar/aurora v8's? Good platforms from what I've heard...?

Swedish Mike

Bwana wrote:That's a sweet idea Mike, verry interesting...

What about the northstar/aurora v8's? Good platforms from what I've heard...?
Check out my thread in General Chat, great Northstar info there.

Bwana

Swedish Mike wrote:I will build a Volvo 2.3 T5 powered S13 as my next project, love the sound and performance.Very light weight, high tech solutions, solid lifters, best head I´ve seen and love high revs.

Some info:

*The engine is built in perfect surfaced "floors" without gaskets, only liquid gasket you roll on.*The crank is well supported by an entire block part, no loose bearing "holders".*Same with the cams, a big block holding them down with 40 screws.*Stock pistons can handle over 600 hp but you need to swap rods.*The head and N/A cams flow well over 500 hp without porting.*Came 94 with hydraulic lifters and heavy internals but got light solid lifters and lighter crank (4 kg´s) in 99. Also better head and block.*Stock manifold can flow at least 600 hp without EGT problems.*Stock intake manifold and N/A TB can flow 700+hp.

The closest to a custom race machine I´ve seen. Designed by Porsche.

One other good thing, the diesel block fit the T5 head. A bullit proof block ready for at least 1000 hp.The 300 hp 2.5 R engine got thinner cylinder walls but ok up to 700 hp.

All numbers in this post is proven and used in cars for years.

Sorry guys but this engine is all I need, just love them...

Edit: Kinda bad vid but some I5 sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6YwIN2IQc
This engine is found in what platform here in the States Mike?

Swedish Mike

Bwana wrote:This engine is found in what platform here in the States Mike?
The best engine is the B5234T3 used in S60 and V70N from 00-03, the newer got bigger bore and thinner cylinder walls.Only one problem, they got VVT, you need to make VVT killer cam gears.Pretty easy and you can use the stock gear part, only make a new center piece since all 5-cyl´s got adjustable cam gears from start.

Another option is the 850 and V/S/C70 T5 engine from 94-98, hydraulic lifters but still strong block and good head.This B5234T engine need some love on the crank house vent if you want to rev 7500+rpm. Also easy but stock in the newer engine.This engine is pretty cheap and used in most 400-500np cars.

The best OEM EMS to control the 5-cyl is Motronic 4.3 from 850 T5 94-95, only one O2 sensor and works really fine. Used up to 600hp here.The only big nono EMS is 99 and newer, they use can bus system and really hard to tune without all the other parts.Use 94-98 EMS but 94-95 is the best ones.Best standalone is Nira, will use all stock sensors but add MAP sensor, made by Volvo engineers.

I got tons of ECU upgrades and the AFM sensor is loose and easy to make your own AFM housing depending on upgrade.Another good thing is that these engines use Bosch injectors, very easy/cheap to find performance injectors and very easy to swap (1 minute).

Just ask if you want more info.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Wow, the Volvo in the vid is a beast!

The I-5 sounds very much like a I-6...

Swedish Mike

IWannaS15 wrote:Wow, the Volvo in the vid is a beast!

The I-5 sounds very much like a I-6...
E85 converted and faster now. Yeah, sounds nice.

Bwana

So what do you forsee as being the major issues in swapping a volvo engine into a 240 Mike? What's the oil pan like? I assume you've probably figured most of it out, so what would we be looking at?

turbo240sx
Car: 240sx

hey i was just wondering if u could tell me wut all engines will fit in my 1989 240sx bc i got a 240 and i want to put a engine into it

Swedish Mike

Bwana wrote:So what do you forsee as being the major issues in swapping a volvo engine into a 240 Mike? What's the oil pan like? I assume you've probably figured most of it out, so what would we be looking at?
The oil pan and distributor are the only hard things IMO, the distributor will face backwards and stop you from mounting the engine "in perfect location".Two options there, take up a hole in the wall and weld in a cup/box.Or go standalone and use coils from the newer engine.

Depends on car model but usually you need to modify the oil pan or use the 960 one and cut it down. Same engine but 6-cyl and RWD.If you don´t want to cut the pan you can modify the crossmember instead and mount the engine behind it. Very short engine and easy to fit.

WDRacing

turbo240sx wrote:hey i was just wondering if u could tell me wut all engines will fit in my 1989 240sx bc i got a 240 and i want to put a engine into it
I don't want this to sound so vague, but almost all of them will fit...LOL. Dimentionally the 240 will accept ALOT of motors. I've seen a 502 installed into a S13 platform...

It is basically up to.

Welcome to Nico!!!

WD

Bwana

Swedish Mike wrote:
The oil pan and distributor are the only hard things IMO, the distributor will face backwards and stop you from mounting the engine "in perfect location".Two options there, take up a hole in the wall and weld in a cup/box.Or go standalone and use coils from the newer engine.

Depends on car model but usually you need to modify the oil pan or use the 960 one and cut it down. Same engine but 6-cyl and RWD.If you don´t want to cut the pan you can modify the crossmember instead and mount the engine behind it. Very short engine and easy to fit.
Sounds alot like the issues I had to deal with putting the CA into the MG... I may have to seriously consider this!

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

i didn't read the whole thread. my vote 2jz sequential turbo. If i had a supra thats what i'd do.

chad_KAT
Car: 98 Red S14

ls7. dry sump. procharger. and nawz ftw

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

i still have to say 2JZ FTMFW

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Mike that 850 video made my afternoon.... That was CLASSIC.. they zoom into a 4 door volvo and all you see behind is a THICK cloud of smoke....... That is SICK!

Theres a lot of good info in this thread.... The only reaosn I dont like the LS1, 2JZ, and so on, is there's really nothing special about them.... Maybe I just like things harder than they have to be, but when ANYONE can have a 500HP 2JZ, RB26, LS1 and so on, it sorta just takes the fun out of it.... you just call up HKS or summit racing and get your parts, install them, and then it done with.

IMO the reason we are here in the hybrid forum is because we dont want to use the "run of the mill motors".......

That volvo engine has me intrigued.. I'll tell you the last thing youd expect to see under the hood of a 240 is a VOLVO motor.... That in itself is SWEET...

WDRacing

elwesso wrote:IMO the reason we are here in the hybrid forum is because we dont want to use the "run of the mill motors".........
As usual Wes...you're wrong...lol.

Seriously though, to me its a matter of picking the best engine performance wise unless you have a passion for a particular motor, like the Volvo. Unforunatly, GM has the corner on the market performance wise. Now I know you'd argue the VH is a bad SOB and I would agree. But then I'd be in the VH forum.

WD

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

if by "wrong" you mean "opinion differs from Brian's", then OK. Besides, we all know that once you get over 20k posts everything you post is fact anyway!!!

This forum was created for unusual engine swaps, either using nissan engines in other vehicles, or putting nissan engine in other vehicles.... I will agree, every engine in this thread is not usually put in a 240 or in about any nissan vehicle.

I think you are trying to disagree with me on something that you would actually agree on...

I agree its about picking the best motor for what you want..... If you want a lightweight, high revving 4 banger with a T65 turbo, then a SR20 or something like that might be for you. If you like torque and cheap aftermarket parts that abound, then an LS1 is for you. If you want something that no one else has and probably wont have anytime soon, a volvo powered 240 is probably for you...

For me, its about being "the guy with xxxxx"... I dont really care if someone with a LS1 powered 240 is faster than me, because theres always going to be someone faster than me..... Which is why if I had a 240 Id never do that swap.... Its also why I dont own a 240 to begin with!

Which is why I really dig the guys who are putting the vg30dett's in the J30 and M30.. Theyre going to be remembered as the guy with the VG30DETT in an M30, and no one really cares that much about how fast the car was, as long as its still running (or was running in the first place) and posted videos of smoking tires and breaking loose on the highway in a ratted out beater Infiniti..... Its projects like those that inspire others to go out and OUTDO them, which is how we get progress..... But if you go back, he's still the man, even if he's still tooling around with his automatic M30tt with stock turbos and a stock ECU (not sure if the M30 is going 5 speed or auto i think hes going 5 speed, just using that arbitrarily)... Once you have that, the rest isnt as important..

To me, its about having something that not everyone can have.... Anyone can have a 500HP LS1 in a 240, because the parts are there. Not everyone can have a 400HP volvo powered 240, which is why I think its cool as hell...

IF you build a car to win races, then all of what I just said doesnt apply to you... because you're going to be concerned about numbers and nothing else.... and obviously, you'd want the easiest way to those numbers.

Swedish Mike

elwesso wrote:Mike that 850 video made my afternoon.... That was CLASSIC.. they zoom into a 4 door volvo and all you see behind is a THICK cloud of smoke....... That is SICK!

Theres a lot of good info in this thread.... The only reaosn I dont like the LS1, 2JZ, and so on, is there's really nothing special about them.... Maybe I just like things harder than they have to be, but when ANYONE can have a 500HP 2JZ, RB26, LS1 and so on, it sorta just takes the fun out of it.... you just call up HKS or summit racing and get your parts, install them, and then it done with.

IMO the reason we are here in the hybrid forum is because we dont want to use the "run of the mill motors".......

That volvo engine has me intrigued.. I'll tell you the last thing youd expect to see under the hood of a 240 is a VOLVO motor.... That in itself is SWEET...
Haha, nice to make some guys happy! I normally piss prople off with my Volvo talk... Just post here or e-mail me if you guys want more info, I´ve been hooked on these engines for 10 years now.I´ll try to find some vid´s on the 709hp or 830hp cars too, crazy sound...

Swedish Mike

Bad vid and sound but the 709hp 850 burning rubber at 60mph and over. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teq5iNeW64

WDRacing

Actually Wes, there's quite a bit of fabrication involved in the LS1 swap. Only one company makes a kit and it's not very good.

I'm pretty much familiar with what Hybrids is about...it was my idea remember? Also...the 240 is a far better performance platform then the J30 or M series. I'm outing them at all, I like them. But ALOT of 240 guys are into performance and bang for the buck. This is the forum to assist in that type of thing. Not just being being different.

I was just giving you a hard time in the other post. Don't be so serious, you're far to young. The forums I Mod are loose and easy going.

I like the LS1 for the same reason I like the VH, all aluminum. The VH is actually more affordable now that I've researched it a bit more. So isn't getting a 3rd Gen Camaro or Bird thats been wrecked and using the HO 305 or 350 if you find one.

The 90's Caprice Classics are also a great source for V8 power plants for cheap cheap and they come in a running car, not a wrecked out shell.

Mike, I'm definitly interested in the Volvo motors. I had no idea they were so beefy in stock form.

WD

Swedish Mike

WDRacing wrote:
Mike, I'm definitly interested in the Volvo motors. I had no idea they were so beefy in stock form.

WD
I don´t think I would use Volvo engines if I was a US guy but they are used in many fast cars over here. Most race team´s like the low weight and torque and the street tuners love the sound and easy hp´s.It´s pretty exotic to go 5 cyl as well, some people like strange engines...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Swedish Mike wrote:Haha, nice to make some guys happy! I normally piss prople off with my Volvo talk... Just post here or e-mail me if you guys want more info, I´ve been hooked on these engines for 10 years now.I´ll try to find some vid´s on the 709hp or 830hp cars too, crazy sound...
out of all the volvo's which ones seem to be the "hot" car to mess with??? That video of the 850 you showed sounds NASTY...

It seems the older stuff is choice to the new stuff...?

WDRacing

Perhaps not, but I'm interested none the less. I have a kid on the way, perhaps an 850 is in my wifes future...

Return to “Hybrids”