Engine/Car shake at cold idle, once warm its fine. (Searched)

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Snappshoota
Car: Chuki Hatch

Like my title states, I have used this pretty little button here :

and have read all the suggestions,

Check plugs for spark/fouled - Checked Have spark, and are not fouled. Removed each wire one at a time, engine ran worse for each cylinder.

Check Fuel injectors - Checked Removed wire for each cylinder and engine got worse

Check for vacuum leaks - Checked Sprayed Choke and Carb cleaner around all lines no really noticeable difference in RPM.

Check motor mounts - Checked Motor wont budge by hand.

I dunno whats going on, All i know is after a 5 hour drive from MD to OH, Im just now getting the problem. It is colder in OH than it was in MD, kinda hoping thats the problem.. but i know its not...

I can go for a 20 min drive, park car, come back out in about 45 mins and start the car, and the motor/car will shake. I let it sit there for about 2 mins and it'll will eventually disappear and Ill have a smooth running car..

Car usually idles normally (500-800 rpm) while the motor is shaking.. And only once have i felt a loss of power, that was while trying to drive while the motor was shaking.

Im kinda lost..

Any other suggestions?

Cone Junky
Car: S13 fastback
BMW e46 328i

Compresion test and leak down test

Also test or just replace the coolant temp sensor.

May also have a leaking head gasket. Which may or may not show itself with the compression/leak down test.

Snappshoota

well... I just came back from a buddies house and on the way there I lost some power and the car is constantly shaking... All the way home flet like i was driving a 1.8l civic, no pick up, horrible/jotting reving out of gears or trying to pass someone it was just horrible slow. Nothing like it was on the way up to ohio.....And the idle has dropped to 500..

So in the morning im going to retest the fuel injectors and plugs.....

Hope its either fuel injectors or plugs...

Azrial
Car: 93 240sx vert, 1990 pignose hatchback roller

The problem is you came to ohio It sucks here and 240's are prone to problems in this state atleast mine is Anyhow let us know what you figure out. I am interested to find out what this one is.

Snappshoota

well, just got back in from warming my car up, and rechecking everything...

And what do ya know, my #2 fuel injector is dead.. Strange how it worked when i tested it yesterday, mustve been on its last leg then..

gonna either head to a junkyard and hope they have one to atleast get me back to MD on tuesday. Then order all new ones once home, or go to autozone and drop 95 dollars on new one...

And I love ohio, born and raised here (cleveland area).. Weather sucks but thats part of being an ohio'an

Snappshoota

Alright Nico members Im completely at a loss now..

Went an dropped 95 dollars for a new injector, installed it, start the car, and same problem.. Engine shaking and hear putt putt - putt putt- out the exhaust.

So i check the plug wire for cylinder #2 pull it out and motor doesnt respond to it.. stays the same.. So I then decided to check the Injector which I just installed. Pull the wire out and same thing motor dont respond to it.. WTF..

Checked wire for for spark - spark there, Checked Plug for spark - Spark there.

Dont have an OHM meter to check if injector is good or bad.. Hopefully gonna find one tomorrow,

Im really at a loss.. maybe electrical problem??

Thing is tho, I know have power back, but you can still tell its missing by the sound of the exhaust, and motor still shakes at idle..

Idle is also all over the place, drops to 300 every time i come to a stop, then jumps up to 1000, then back down to 500...

Cars starting to get on my nerves..

Any suggestions.

stutterr
Car: 1990 240sx

I just went through the same problem with my 90 KA24e. I needed all new injectors and new injector o rings.

Did you check cap and rotor? What position is your distributor set to?

Maybe your timing is off. Run some fuel injector cleaner as well. Normally when 1 injector is gone, going, others are soon to follow. Injectors can see to fail when they are clogged as well.

You can hear the injectors pulse. Put a screwdriver tip to the injector and the handle against your ear, you should hear the pulse. Make sure that the connections are nice and snug as well

Snappshoota

well just a update, went and bought a can of seamfoam this morning, and sucked it in through brake booster line.. Well Helped out a bit.

Now when i pull either the fuel injector line, or plug on cylinder 2 the motor very slightly dies ( not as harsh as when i pull other plugs, but its a start)..

So I bought another can and just now ran a 1/4 of the can through and now it idles smoothly for a bit and the engine is no were near as harsh idling as was before.. but theres still a faint sound of a miss from the exhaust .

So got some progress, just need to pin point the exact problem, just kinda hard with out right tools...

bruinbear714

I would say coolant temp sensor. Do you get bad gas mileage ?

Snappshoota

Imma gonna check the coolant temp sensor and IACV first thing in the morning.

I just went out and started my 240, let it warm up (its snowing here, so its cold) put it reverse to back out drive, as soon as i push the clutch in to shift into 1st my car stalled.. (did it 3 times on a 2 min trip to store)

I notice now everytime i push the clutch in when coming to a stop revs will drop to 100 and try to stall..

And i did notice when coming up from MD i used more gas in my 240 than i did in my wife's V6 Malibu...

Just need to get this damned car in half way decent running shape to make it 300 miles back to MD so i can rip the motor out and rebuild it..
Modified by Snappshoota at 6:09 PM 2/22/2009

Snappshoota

wow ... just my luck..

Its my fuel injector.. The one i just picked up from autozone mustve been dead/dieing too... Whadda ya know...

Just gotta find some place that sells injectors now..

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”