Engine break in?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Ron240sx
Car: 90 240sx ca18det
89 300zx vg30e

So my engine finally is ready. Next week I'll have head bolts from the dealer and my dowels. It's all ready to go after that. My big concern is how do I break this engine in right? I've got new cp Pistons and want to insure these rings get broke in right. So I've been told by a local tuning shop no boost for 500 miles. I've read on past posts here break it in hard. So do I wait 500 miles or run it hard from the get go ? And finally my biggest concern if it has to be tuned are you guys just breaking them in on base maps or what? I need help its been over 3 years now since this thing has moved or ran. And I've been waiting impatiently . I'll get pics on here if I get some helpful replies

tommey
Car: S13 ca18det

There are as much opinions on this subject as there are people i believe.
The way that makes most sense to me is at least to first of all stay away from "break in oils".
Break in oils are usually made for old engines who need additional additives to break in camshafts.
In a modern type engine you would want a cheap mineral oil.

Cams
Car: 1993 Nissan 200sx CA18(DET) RS13
2002 Mitsubishi Airtrek JDM 4G63T (wife)
2013 Scion FR-S
2016 Infiniti QX50

Agreed. Your preferred Mineral oil and not going over 4000rpms for 500 miles. I did this on the base map. At least it wasn't running rich so in my case I'm not worried.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I've post this before, but I prefer a hard break in. I've done it with multiple engines and they all have great compression and run well. I just did this with the motor in my Mazdaspeed Protege and I got the same results I always do. Good compression, even compression, good power.

I follow this break in exactly;
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Oh, and no synthetic oils during break in.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

float_6969 wrote:I've post this before, but I prefer a hard break in. I've done it with multiple engines and they all have great compression and run well. I just did this with the motor in my Mazdaspeed Protege and I got the same results I always do. Good compression, even compression, good power.

I follow this break in exactly;
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Oh, and no synthetic oils during break in.
I second this post. If it is built right, it should break-in correctly granted you use the correct oil and do not do long road trips to get the fictitious mileage needed to assume the engine is fully broke in.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”