Engine Bay Dry Rot

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
McFluffybunny
Car: 1990 300ZX NA

Well, I started to pull the plenum in order to fix a dead #6 fuel injector and find an oil leak on the passenger side. What i"m finding is that every thing that's made of plastic is dry rotted or so brittle that is just breaks. I'm talking electrical connectors, hoses, clamps, brackets...... well you get the picture. My question is where is a good source for rubber/plastic parts the fix everything I've broken? The Nissan dealer down the road looked at me like I was crazy when asking for these bits and pieces. Oh, and well I'm here, a source for the fuel injector upgrade kit (90-94 to 95-96). I broke all six of the fuel injector connectors so I figured lets do the upgrade while in here. I haven't had the best of luck just picking a suppler to get parts from(think BBE), so who do you trust? I'm working on a 90 NA 2+2.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You'll have to get creative and do NOT buy OEM parts there, I rarely do on old cars. They are priced to not sell except to the unlearned and they ARE the ones that broke to begin with eh?

I commonly use like plastic tiewraps in place of 10X priced OEM clips and such. New brackets out of metal and sheetmetal screws used to hold them down. Rubber or copper pipe to replace OEM specialty hoses made of crap plastic. I use practically no OEM electrical terminals, only my own made at 1/10th the price. I refuse to buy whoppingly overpriced $30 connectors like sold nowadays. On my zetec Ford fours with 9 coolant hoses, I use bulk straight hose to replace all specialty formed hoses and it saves over $100 just doing that on one car.

Done correctly the change in parts looks very professional, the car just does not use many OEM parts and it shows in a hundred places under the hood.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Try wiring specialties, they have newly manufactured OE look, feel, quality parts. I agree partially with amc, hoses, plastic pipes/tubes, etc. can be replaced with "better" materials. Electrical connectors however will become brittle and break regardless of their origin considering the amount of heat and cramped conditions and given that these cars are now 25 years old.

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Part of the issues with old cars...

McFluffybunny

Thanks for the info. This thing was bad. I just got back from the auto parts store. I am replacing all of the hoses, fuel and vacuum line first. I'm not sure if getting a replacement harness is in the cards just yet. The wife is not understanding why a car that only has 98k miles has required $2500 in parts so far... and I'm still not done. I'm a former aircraft electrician so I can fix some wires, I just don't know how deep I want to go with repairs. At some point time out ways money. Does anyone sell the new style injectors in a kit? I've seen some stuff online about Subaru injectors but I'm worried about getting too far away from factory. I'm not building for power, just reliability. While I have the plenum off I'll do the water line delete and fix a valve cover leak. Then it injectors time. Are there any other issues with this model that I should look for while I have it apart? Is there a anti-fart solenoid that explodes at 99k miles? I don't want to take this apart.....ever.....again!

AlabamaDan
1998 Infiniti QX4

I really like OEM parts on my Infiniti's, but that maybe just because I'm not schooled in such things. From what I recall the engine in the J is the same as the 300ZX.

AlabamaDan
1998 Infiniti QX4

Reminder her it was a $45k-$50k car. Post some pics!

Do you have the FSM?

https://nicoclub.com/archives/infiniti- ... nuals.html

McFluffybunny

I do now! Thanks Dan.
I showed her the window sticker that the original owner had in the glove box. It says it was $36,000. We knew it was going to need a little fixin up but she wasn't ready for the price of parts to be so high. Lucky for her I'm getting out of the ATV hobby. That was getting pricey too.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Good looking ride. checkout our vendors we have a few good ones. The upgraded injector kit you're looking for is the DW kit to convert to phase 2 injectors. which all the vendors carry. I would stay with OEM injectors, the phase 2 units are great units. I have STI injectors in my TT but again there is no need for you to go to those. The OEM 93+ NA injectors are as good as anything you'll get.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Contact Bernie he has kits for sale:

http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/forum ... n-Kit.html

AlabamaDan
1998 Infiniti QX4

That's a beautiful ride.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”