Energy Suspension Upper Differential Bushings

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
peterpilot9
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX NA

1990 NA Auto: Has anyone successfully installed the Energy Suspension Upper Differential Bushings on one of these models? I have the subframe down and cleared of the stock bushings but can't find a way to get the new poly bushings to go in. I do have the inner sleeve/bucket removed as I try to install.

Any ideas, maybe a bushing installation/removal tool you could recommend? I can't keep the bushing from pushing out to the sides of the flared entry point. Tried a homemade puller and a few different loaner tools (usually a ball joint puller kind of tool) from the auto part stores but just can't find the right sized sleeves to keep it centered.

Hoping there's maybe a trick I've missed. The things seem to be as firm as aluminum sometimes! I have butchered one by cutting out a longitudinally oriented slice and it will fold in enough to be inserted, but I'm thinking that would not function well as a bushing in that condition.

Anyway, just hoping someone has done it and has an idea or two. Thanks.....

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

I used this method with 1/4" steel plates instead of the wood blocks. I did not lower my subframe.

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/f ... ation.html

peterpilot9

Thanks!! I'll be giving that a try.

peterpilot9

Well, a late update is better than none I suppose.

The method and tools mentioned here worked to get the Energy Suspension upper differential bushings in place, but then I was unable to align the differential case in the subframe. The ES bushings sit proud of the subframe opening where the stock units sit flush, so the effect was for the diff case to be displaced forward to the extent I couldn't align the front mounting bolts. I ordered a set from Whiteline and they worked fine as they also sit flush with the subframe. I'm sure there's a way to get the ES to work as they sell a million of them, but I couldn't figure out a way.

I've completed the bushing replacement and that was the only issue I ran into. The job is as everyone has seen it; a lot of burning and chiseling followed by a lot of grunting and swearing.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Yep I was b**** to pull the diff back far enough to align the front bolt hole. Had to use ratchet straps attached to the tow hooks to pull the diff rear wards, similar to the link here (at the end of the write up)

http://www.pexcom.com.au/z32cms/e107_pl ... ontent.421

peterpilot9

itsa300zx wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:00 am
Yep I was b**** to pull the diff back far enough to align the front bolt hole. Had to use ratchet straps attached to the tow hooks to pull the diff rear wards, similar to the link here (at the end of the write up)

http://www.pexcom.com.au/z32cms/e107_pl ... ontent.421
Wow, you the man for sure! I can appreciate the amount of effort that must have taken. I tried a few things but couldn't pull it off. Hopefully the Whiteline versions will work out OK. Fitment was easy enough.

Now to find a muffler :)

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”