encryption... datalock... any thoughts?

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
sandrafletcher
Car: waiting-scoping out my dream car

I am kinda paranoid about someone taking my laptop, and putting all my data over the internet, or taking my identity and ripping me off. A friend told me I should try data encryption. I found this PC Mag review of Datalock (just Google ‘pc mag datalock’).

Will datalock prevent someone from putting all my data over the internet, or taking my identity and ripping me off?

They got a 60 day free trial, is it worth trying (I hate trials that don’t do anything)?

The trial is on the zonealarm website, just click datalock.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371748,00.asp

Probably OK until someone works out a hack. I assume if the company has a way to get you into the system then there may be an exploit at some point. Most people would have no clue regardless.

Lobo240sx
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe SR2.35DET Redtop Build

Why don't you use a Hard Drive password? That would keep someone from getting your data in case your laptop is stolen/lost.
Even though some could get the codes and crack it. Likely not to happen though.

Look at PGP encryption (Pretty Good Protection) or Checkpoint also. This will encrypt your data in case someone takes your laptop.

As far as someone stealing your identity or ripping you off, that would be a different deal. You can pay for a company to track your SSN and account #'s annually fee. Only thing you really can do is use a low balance credit card online and be sure to use a secure site like PayPal. ( with HTTPS) . Oh yeah, don't download anything that you aren't familiar with online. Downloads can lead to trojan horses, Rouges where they try to steal your information.

Don't send Nigerians your account number or any stupid emails and you are good. ;)

angeliquedavis
Car: Work in progress

Great thoughts, guys! I use datalock because I keep far too much sensitive info to take a gamble. I tried other methods, but datalock makes me feel safest.

I think the biggest difference between Datalock and any other encryption program is that it comes from a old and reputable company, Zonealarm whose free firewall I have been using for years.

The other big difference is the support. Got a problem or questions with Datalock, and just pick-up the phone. The problem with Truecrypt is no support.

Also, PC Mag did a great review of Datalock:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371748,00.asp

and I see on the Datalock page they have a 60 day free trial:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us ... a-lock.htm

Although, I don’t know how anyone would test the trail…

Great software though.

RCA

Possibly look at Trucrypt?

Return to “Computers / Electronics”