emissions trouble

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
KarmaPolice

I just got my state emissions test on my 92 hatch and FAILED :(It wasn't by much but I changed plugs and wires and failed again. The guy at the station told me my egr was bad. I called some junk yards for one and they didn't have em. So my question is how can I pass? Anyone have any tips? I live in PA if that helps.Thanks

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Give us more info on what exactly you failed and by how much. No offense but I wouldnt put Great faith in the guy at the inspection station.

JiNuDaVe

"I just got my state emissions test on my 92 hatch and FAILED It wasn't by much but I changed plugs and wires and failed again. The guy at the station told me my egr was bad. I called some junk yards for one and they didn't have em. So my question is how can I pass? Anyone have any tips? I live in PA if that helps.Thanks"

man

i tried a lot of stuff too. plugs and wires, change oil teh minute b4 the test, run thsoe system cleaners, octance boosters etc etc

i just went through this B.S. a week ago, here's what i found out (after a lot of money)

The EGR system is really complicated. Even though the computer can tell us this with the LED system that the EGR is messed up, there's still a lot of possiblities. the signal sent to teh computer is somethign along the lines of "there is something wrong with the EGR, go find it." pretty vague, but better than nothing

the EGR valve istelf could be busted, or it could just be a dirty hose

in my case, a hose attached to the EGR valve was very dirty. the mechanic cleaned it, and a pre-test revealed that it dropped my emissions drastically. i was passed by the hairs of my chinny chin chin =D

Basically, you have to let your mechanic use his exp and skill to find out what's wrong.

1991240xs

I also failed emissions..but I just had to replace my cat...an old oil leak had clogged up the cat..it sucked..but after that i passed with flying colors-

240 rippa

which state are you guys in?

Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

How about leaning out the a/f to the point of detonation??

S13Drifter

Most cars that fail are on bad air filters. Number 1 cause of failer. But i would take it to a mechanic, at least if you have the same laws a chicago 'cause we get in trouble if we fail 3 times. I assume you did they other most improtant thing is that you let you engine run for atleast 15 to 30 mins. I always have new airfilter and warm engine, and i have never failed. Anyways good luck. Emissions testing is all bull ****.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Would you care to explain to me how an air filter is the number one cause? Especially in tests where they show the car is running way too rich and such. Id say thats an issue with fuel delivery.

240 rippa

hey.i work for state inspection,i can help if you tell me what state you in?not all emission inspection have the same standard reading,and yes it is all bull sh*t

KarmaPolice

I'm in PA.

240 rippa

what exactly did you fail for,co,hc,nox? you can also try to talk to the inspector and tell him its a 2.0l,that will change the should reading setting

KarmaPolice

I failed the nox by the tiniest (sp?) bit. I'd like to fix whatever is wrong so I don't have to worry about it every year.

240 rippa

catalitic converter,egr valve,pcv valve.plugs and wires are for your carbon monoxide.try those first starting with the egr valve and pcv valve,then a new cat

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

For NOx gasses, check your catalytic converter. It could also be your EGR, since it is designed to reduce NOx gasses specifically. How were the other numbers? Were they just under? Or was the NOx the only one that was high.

You can also try and make sure the Cat is really hot when they start the test. Basically, you drive the piss out of the car right before getting it tested. That might help....

wyawn
Car: Motorcycle riding, mountain bike, amateur film making,

Did you ever pass your emissions? I failed today. I failed on Nox too. The limit was 1045 parts per million. I registered 1950 parts per million a week ago. I checked my emissions system and found some broken hoses. I replaced the hoses and got down to 1350 parts per million. I replace my cat and came in at 1500ppm. Any suggestions.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”