emission control remove

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
fst240sx
Car: cars

i live in florida and theres no emission standards far as i know. so, is there any possible to remove the EGR and other emission related compontents on my '90 240sx KA24E? would the car run better, worst or the same?

also, does anybody have a pic of their engine bay with a header and a cold-air intake (good pic) of their '89 or '90 240sx?

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

You are mistaken... if you take a car in to be inspected they will check to make sure the emission components are still intact. The "emissions" most people refere to is the sniffer test where they test your emissions for greenhouse gasses and all that gay hippy tree hugger ****. Its easy to get around the "I removed the emissions crap off my car" route though but non the less some shops wont pass your car for inspections.

boMex

*juvenile insults removed;) * Droping your emissions gear isn't worth it.

fst240sx

i live in the north west of florida, and i've never had a car taken to get inspected for emissions. just as long you have a cat. converter or heard of anybody gotton inspected. just wanna know cause i dont want hoses that doesnt need to be there

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

removing the egr would not be a good idea. it will cause the car to run rich. the egr takes vapors left over from the combustion cycle and puts it back into the intake to aide in combustion. the computer is programmed to opperate with this extra air going in. take that air out and you will have problems.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

BoMex I care about the air we breathe ... just I dont believe in the government forcing us to do all this **** and to be forced to comply. I see crappy running old Mustangs, Camaros, Mitsubishis, etc. etc. that put out 1000X the emissions of a 240SX with a SR20DET pushing 14lbs w/ a cat. So frankly when it comes to mandation from the EPA about new cars... they can suck a fat one! They can b**** about emissions all day then go and get in their gas guzzling SUVs and think nothing about it. Fuk them!

boMex

Why is it the the most free people on the earth complain so much about their lack of freedom? The reason your government, like mine, mandates pollution controls is because the citizens can't be trusted to do it by themselves. Maybe the US customs/Border Patrol should be disbanded because Americans have the right to come and go withpout being hassled. Who cares if a Terrorists slip through. Maybe 5 year olds should be given guns to take to school because as Americans it is their God given right to do so. Maybe the next time you get pulled over by the popo you should just keep on driving because that cop is just trying to force the governments laws down your throat. BTW if you despise being told what to do by the government you should start driving on the left side of the road since driving on the right side of the road is what the government tells you to do.

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

I have to agree with Nismo on this one... i think if the government is going to make us get emissions tested then all those beat up junker spewing black smoke should also be tested.... they shouldn't be allowed to drive around when you can clearly see they are doin more harm than our cars are.... but we get penalized

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

I have removed all of my emissions junk (EGR, AIV, and Charcoal Canister) without any problems of running rich or anything. I haven't really noticed any performance gains either. The only real advantage I've noticed is a cleaner looking engine bay. However, I do have a '93 SE Coupe, so it may be a little different than your KA24E.

Emperor

Bomex.... shut the hell up or we will have to call the waaaaammbulance.

burningskulls

Just a thought....if we didnt have emission controls there might be a 2-mile wide smog cloud over the US instead of over Asia right now.

fst240sx

prior to 1979, cars didnt have emission controls. cars ran very well, and wasnt a pain in the a** to get to something and was easy to find the problem. when cars first came out than, they were clean just like a brand new car today. after years of many miles, parts do break done, wear out, etc. nothing lasts forever!! besides, why does an engine needs a crank sensor, cam sensor, starter sensor, etc, etc, etc. theres so many sensors on cars today thats pointless. if fine to have O2 sensors, and others for a car to run smoother, gets better gas milage, and all. (you have a '98 240sx that wont start. you dont want to spend mega bucks to find a poblem cause it wont start. you replace the battery, starter, and still scratching your head cause it wont start. after many money went by and time, you found out its a crank sensor.) i dont believe moveing the emission controls would make a car run rough, pollute, run rich, etc. engine may run a hair different, but not noticeable, besides, you'll have a cleaner engine bay :D all a engine needs, is really the basics. if its EFI, have the basic needs.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

boMex wrote:Why is it the the most free people on the earth complain so much about their lack of freedom? The reason your government, like mine, mandates pollution controls is because the citizens can't be trusted to do it by themselves. Maybe the US customs/Border Patrol should be disbanded because Americans have the right to come and go withpout being hassled. Who cares if a Terrorists slip through. Maybe 5 year olds should be given guns to take to school because as Americans it is their God given right to do so. Maybe the next time you get pulled over by the popo you should just keep on driving because that cop is just trying to force the governments laws down your throat. BTW if you despise being told what to do by the government you should start driving on the left side of the road since driving on the right side of the road is what the government tells you to do.

Bomex, you are a little too wound up about this. Government is supposed to serve the people and not oppress them. A lot of the laws in America are stupid and serve alterior motives. I know up in the great white north the government is toootally perfect and always has the true best interests of the populace in mind, maybe someday we will be perfect like you guys someday but first we have to devalue our currency and find some way to become irrelevant to world affairs.

I find it intolerable that a heavy polluter like a factory can get "pollution points" for crushing an old Camaro so it can continue to spew contaminates equal to the chevy's weight every year.

I find it rediculous that on my way to get nailed at the inspection station for removing a stupid evap canister I have to ride behind a huge deisel truck belching black smoke.

I want clean air as much as the next guy but the governmental panty-bunching needs to be proportional to the violation, wouldn't you agree. Now if you will excuse me I have to go knock the catalyst out of my "test pipe":)

Nismo1182
Car: Z06

fst240sx wrote:i live in florida and theres no emission standards far as i know. so, is there any possible to remove the EGR and other emission related compontents on my '90 240sx KA24E? would the car run better, worst or the same?

also, does anybody have a pic of their engine bay with a header and a cold-air intake (good pic) of their '89 or '90 240sx?

Im in Florida also, and I removed all my emissions stuff on my 90, ill have pics soon.

sxse
Car: no more 240, '04 YZF-R6

Scientist, you are pretty right IMO except for one thing. Supposedly in our country WE are the gov. so we can vote and complain, or leave.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Nice wish, unfortunately the stunning majority of Americans are drooling idiots who march lemming-like towards the precipice easily diverted from the issues of the day by Joe Millionaire:rolleyes Americans have allowed their country to congeal into a large steaming pile of bull****, they have used their infinate freedoms to vaunt scumbags into positions of power so that the common man need not be troubled with making, duhuh, a desision, the government will dictate it or T.V. will spoonfeed it to you.

SinceByMan

In hot rod magazine not too long ago, there was an article about the crushing of old cars by factories for pollution points, they saved an old camaro from the crusher and its called "the crusher camaro" they did a smog check on it and I think that it did pass anyway, the point is, there are like 10 or more newer cars for every old mustang or camaro, granted that an older car must pollute 10x more than a newer car, it would be a lot worse if every car was a terrible polluter.

And yes cars prior to 1979 DID have emissions controls, my 73z has emissions controls, pretty basic, but they are there.

Boricua

i dont´n think that removed all emisions components do the trick,we all clean air YEAH! and all this stuff,but think, you driving your car, well painted, clean, new tires, good looking wheels, tires shining (ALL THAT STUFF) and when you pass near people, they said to you

NICE CAR; BUT SMELLS REALLY BAD...:D lol

if you strat a car in a garage...RUN... YOU WILL BE DEAD IN MINUTES... :(

WELL, use others things to get power... :ylsuper

Meantime

themadscientist wrote:Nice wish, unfortunately the stunning majority of Americans are drooling idiots who march lemming-like towards the precipice easily diverted from the issues of the day by Joe Millionaire:rolleyes Americans have allowed their country to congeal into a large steaming pile of bull****, they have used their infinate freedoms to vaunt scumbags into positions of power so that the common man need not be troubled with making, duhuh, a desision, the government will dictate it or T.V. will spoonfeed it to you.

Yes, yes...this is all true. I cannot help but look around our country (and I've been to every corner of it) and think to myself, "Rome is about to fall, again."

The sad part is, this place could be something really special, if only people gave a damn.

Anyway, removing your EGR will shoot your NOX readings off the scale. Don't know if they test for that in your neck of the woods but it's definitely a side effect.

89240sx

I hate to tell you guys this but americans arent the only drooling idiots... every country is infested with them and they are called people.. get used to it .. its not just an american thing.

my $.02

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Im with the madscientist. Im sick of the government "protecting us from ourselves". seatbelt laws? Come on! If i want to drive around without my seatbelt on and drive off a cliff and die it should be my descision to. However, the sad part is, its still the best government on the planet. (except maybe amsterdam)

YomnyM

Jeromes13 i want to remove all my emission stuff can you give me a quick over view, when i remove the charcoal canister what do i do with all the hoses it contains, how about the EGR and the rest of those things. My car isn't running very well it tends to bog, lose power, so i may have a vacuum leak and i wanna try eliminating all these things. Thanks

Dragon240

Whats really funny is all this wah wah bs started with no reason, the guy was simply asking what to do about his turbo manifold not having egr connections.. jesus.

Guffed
Car: cars and girls...What else is there??

Well when I installed a header on my car when i had the ka, the egr didnt fit into the header right so i just left it unplugged and welded it up...my car didnt run any worse but i did notice a backfire once and a while but no biggie...If I were you I wouldnt purposley remove it because its not worth the time.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”