eletrical problem..need help..

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
hondakiller007
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx

wats up everyone.im new to the forum but its helped out alot during my na to tt swap.i have a 1990 z32 5sp manual trans.ive swaped in a 93 usdm vgdett.today my friend tried conecting the battery and it spark so bad it pitted the negative post.i smelled burnt wire and i knew that meant trouble.so i opend the fuse box next to the battery and sure enough the blue fuse was burnt and split.

im hoping thats all that was damaged because the ecu was not connected.i checked all my ground wires for the engine harness and they we nicely secured to either the body or the engine itself.so that leaves me to think it wud b the alternator or the starter..anothr possibility wud have to be the amp wires that were installed by the previous owner.they all all open and lying in the trunk of the car.the positive and negative do run to the battery but they were not connected.so i thought..

thats when i noticed that the positve wire for the amp had got connectd to the positive wire for the starter.but the amp (+/-) wires in the trunk were all wrapped together..duhhhhhh!!!! lol so i un-hooked the (+)cable for the the NON EXSISTANT amp and wrapped it in electrical tape.

im really hoping that was the problem but i wud like to be sure before i put another fuse in the fuse box and make the same mistake.especially if its something else.. if you have any suggestions that wud help out alot... (

Modified by hondakiller007 at 12:32 PM 8/1
Modified by hondakiller007 at 12:33 PM 8/13/2009

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

What went to the fuse that blew? If a fuse blew in the car's fuse box, it likely won't be the amp wiring unless that wiring was wired up to that fuse. If they were, then you'll be fine now. If not, you'll need to track down further what would have caused it.

I'm not the greatest with electronics but I don't believe that fuse would have blown unless it was being grounded out itself.

hondakiller007
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx

it turns out that i had the (+/-) wires to the alternator in reverse.and thats what caused the spark that blew the fuse.so i corrected the wires and i replaced the fuse and now everything is A-OK! thanks for the advice.glad to be a part of this forum.

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Good to hear!

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”