electrical oil pressure gauge installation

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
MikeS14240sx

Well I'm going to start installing some gauges on my 98. I made a costom gauge panel to go in place of the ac unit controller. I'm starting with an oil pressure gauge. I'm hopeing someone can let me know what I'll be getting myself into? As well as am I going to have to install a sending unit of some kind for the gauge to work or is there wires that I can tap into?

Please Help!!!!!

Thanks for your response.

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

You have to remove the stock oil pressure sender from the block, then run an NTP tap in to clean the threads up and then screw in the new sender. It's not too dificult, then you just have to wire it up.

Paul

MikeS14240sx

Thanks for the help. That was just what i was looking for. I think i can handle that.

Thanks

AunVoh

ah, but would that throw a ECU code if you remove the stock sending unit?

180crafter
Car: Nissan 240sx

I plan on doing the same mod, wouldnt taking out the original set off the idiot light?

Would it be the same for a oil temp gauge??

:squint

ka24de_510

hey, don't tap your block, that's a very permanent, and kind of dumb way to go.go down to your local napa auto parts and show them what you're doing. you'll need an oil pressure adapter tee and three adapters. the hole in your block is 10mm I believe, and the adapter you get will no doubt be some useless "standard" size. you need an adapter from the tee into the block, and one for each of the senders that will come out of the tee. make sure to install the tee the "long" way, otherwise you will have clearance issues with your oil filter and other things (you'll probably need to remove the filter to attach the tee, then reattach it, or just change the oil while you're at it).I'll post a link to a picture of the setup I just installed in mine, so you can see what it looks like.you have to install it *tight* and I ended up using some copper gasket maker to lock the threads (any similar conductive material should work too).check for oil leaks after you do it and tighten as necessary, but don't strip the block.post again if you have any questions.Zac

ka24de_510

ok, here are the pics.

this is from the top of the enginehttp://www.engr.orst.edu/~wheeleza/three.jpg

closer to where it mounts up.http://www.engr.orst.edu/~wheeleza/two.jpg

this is the actual tee I installed.http://www.engr.orst.edu/~wheeleza/one.jpg

you can see that mine does have a slight leak, but it is so minor it is not even noticeable. you can also see where I scored the heck out of my oil filter getting it off. :D I got a new filter wrench after that.

the oil temp sender won't work the same way as the pressure. you will have to tap the hole because oil has to flow around the sender (you can't add a tee). I don't know if there are any spare holes in the block or not.

I'm not entirely sure that you need the stock sender, which is on the end of the tee, but I kept it. the idiot light only goes off if the signal is grounded (which happens when you have no pressure), so that shouldn't happen if nothing is connected. however, I think the ECU might depend on the signal from the stock sender. like I said, I'm not really sure.

oh, the parts cost me about $14.

hope this helps.

MikeS14240sx

Thanks for the info. That sounds a lot better than tapping the block. Maybe now I'll finally get that little project done.

joe3180
Car: 89 240sx, S13 sr20det, silvia conversion

thanks for the pics it really helped

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”