Electrical Issues

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Vic33
Car: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I have a 2007 NIssan Pathfinder and the dash instrument panel / gauges periodically go completely off. While this is going on the engine continues to idle, but when I push on the gas it does not throttle up at all. The brakes work all the time. There is an electrical burning smell in the engine bay. Usually after the engine is turned off for a little bit it will then start up and not have this problem at first. I have replaced the battery. The alternator is good. Some ground wires have been tightened / reattached. Voltage drop test and resistance tests are well within range. The starter has been replaced. The relays and fuses in the IPDM have been tested. The IPDM has been opened and the contacts have been cleaned. Any ideas on how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ignition power to the cluster comes from 80A fusible link f on the battery into the Fuse & Fusible Link box, through a busbar into 40A fusible link j, through the bulkhead and into the Main harness at SMJ connectors E10:M6, from there to the B terminal on the Ignition Switch, out through the IG1 terminal to position 1R on the cabin fusebox, through fuse 14 and out to fusebox position 5P, then finally to the cluster. None of it passes through the IPDM, and your interruption could be anyplace along that power path. Since you're sniffing something suspicious under the hood, I'd check the wiring at the Fuse & Fusible Link box first. You can find all the power diagrams for your ride starting on PG-6 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 7%2Fpg.pdf

Vic33

Thank you very much for your reply. The service manual link is very helpful and appreciated. We have been following the wiring and have not found any faults yet. However, the lights / gauges on the dash went out today during a short test drive. When we tested it during the outage the voltage across the battery terminals read 18 volts (normally it is 14.4 volts when the dash lights / gauges are working). We suspect the alternator is bad. Do you think the alternator is causing the dash lights / gauges to periodically go out and needs replaced? Of note, we noticed a power steering fluid leak. The power steering pump looks like it is above the alternator. Can leaking power steering fluid damage or affect the alternator? Thanks again for any more help.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

A bad regulator (integral to the alternator) is the only thing that can spike voltage that way. Replace the alternator. I wouldn't drive it if at all possible, anything above 16.5V can start blowing up CAN drivers and power supplies.

Vic33

Thank you so much for all your help. We changed the alternator and have not had any problems since. Thanks again!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Glad to help, happy motoring!
:dblthumb:

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”