Electrical Circuit for DRL-Q70

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Jfpq70
Car: 2014 Q70

Hello All and Merry Christmas. New here and hope you can help. I just got a 2014 Q70 and would like to install some DRLs. I need to find a circuit in the engine compartment that I can tap that is switched off with the ignition off. I can't seem to find one. Can someone point me in the right direction? (I noticed the climate control seat circuit but there is only less than a volt at that fuse????)
Thanks in advance.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

If you want DRLs, I would suggest NOT tapping into any existing fuses or switches. If you buy a good set of DRLs, they come with a switch that connects direct to the battery (+ )and (-) terminals and they switch ON when the engine is started and switch OFF a couple seconds after the engine is OFF. They are extremely easy to install and I have used them for years. I use Phillips Daylight-8 DRLs and they have worked great on my 07 M and my 09 M. I played a bit in Photoshop to show you what they would look like on your bumper - one set at the bottom and one set along the top.
On my 07, I used 20-lb 3M tape from Home Depot to stick them to the upper lip of the bumper insert and ran the wire behind it after drilling a very small hole in the black plastic grille insert. That way I did not have to actually use brackets and put screws into my bumper.
On my 09 I mounted them along the bottom of the bumper. Again I used 3M tape instead of screwing brackets into the bumper. This time, though, I cut just enough pf the black rubber trim piece to allow for a flush mount.

Here is a link to the DRLs I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PHILIPS-DRL ... 4e&vxp=mtr

Using these DRLs sets your M apart as nobody else has them and I get compliments on them in daytime and at night. It's a much better set-up than just having regular bulbs dimly lighted as DRLs. They come with an extra wire that can be connected to your headlamp socket to dim them when headlamps are ON but I don't use it. I want them to be full ON the whole time my engine is on. Here is a pic of the 09 M without the engine running - as you can see, they blend into the bumper trim piece nicely when not ON.

securityguy
Car: 2012 M37x

I second the Phillips DRLs. I installed on my car as well and LOVE them. Very high quality and comes with the interface to easily install and power the DRLs. Bought mine on Amazon but can usually find there and on eBay too.

Jfpq70

Thank you Larz and security guy. Sounds like a winner and what I will do. Do you just make a direct connection to the battery?

Larz

Once you open the box, you will know what to do. I snapped some pics just now to give you some tips I learned through trial and error.
There will be three main pieces:
2 x DRLs with wiring and a connector at the end, and 1 x Switch box.
The switch box will have two sets of wires coming out of opposite ends, One end has a set of wires that have connectors on them - you plug the DRL wires into them - ** doesn't matter which DRL goes to which connector, but do NOT connect them until the entire install is done. Once connected, they are hard to disconnect.
The opposite end of the switch box also has two wires. One is the set of red and black wires to connect to the battery - red to (+) and black to (-). The remaining wire is optional. This wire goes to the headlamp socket IF you want the DRLs to go dimmer when the headlamps are ON. I didn't use it and cut it off from the switch box.

I ran the battery wires under the black battery box and up to the battery. ** Make sure you connect these wires and the battery cables VERY tight as our cars act up if there is any loose connection at the battery terminals.
I placed the switch box against the metal wheel well and secured it with a cable tie. ** You have to place the box in a location that where it won't rest against, or be subjected to high heat sources like the engine or hoses.
After you have installed the actual DRLs, just run the wires up through the engine bay. I ran them in front of the radiator and across the top of the engine bay just under the hood latch, then under the washer tank, etc to the connectors on the switch box. You will see where I cut the extra wire that is used for connection to the headlamp.
Depending on how much of a 'lip' there is down on the bumper insert, you may be able to just drill a small hole behind each DRL to run the wires. On my 07, that's all I had to do. I used 3M double stick tape. NOT the tape you see in the grocery. You need the 20-lb rated 3M tape that you will find at Home Depot or the like. On my 09, there wasn't enough of a lip to make it easy so I had to cut out enough of the bumper insert to allow for the DRL to sit flush with the bumper. In both cases, though I did not use the metal brackets that came with the DRLs. I used 3M tape and it holds up to cold temps, hot temps, rain, snow, etc.

Hope this helps !

Jfpq70

Thank you Larz. You are too good to me. Your help is much appreciated and I wish you Happy Holidays.

THANK YOU!!!! ( BTW, I ordered them from Amazon, my daughter coincidentally gave a gift card to them).

All the best.

Larz

Jfpq70 wrote:Thank you Larz. You are too good to me. Your help is much appreciated and I wish you Happy Holidays.

THANK YOU!!!! ( BTW, I ordered them from Amazon, my daughter coincidentally gave a gift card to them).

All the best.
If you would like a guide regarding how to cut the bumper or the black grille insert (if needed) I posted a thread that sort of shows how I did on my 09 M35. The lower bumpers appear to be similar enough that it could help you:

custom-drl-s-for-08-10-m35-diy-t593760.html

Jfpq70

Thanks Larz.

From what I can tell I will not have to do any cutting. There are openings in the grille I can pass the wires through. But if that does not end up being the case, I appreciate having this.

BTW, have you tried to change the parking light that sits on top of the headlight reflector. You need some pretty small hands to get to it. Any tips there????

Larz

I have an 09 model so your headlamp and engine bay are different than mine. On my car, the parking bulbs are easily removed just by lifting up the plastic engine covers. I removed the bulbs and left them that way. The DRLs are very bright and much more noticeable than the little parking lamps.

Jfpq70

Larz-

I installed the DRLs yesterday and am very happy with the results. Thanks for the suggestion. I also installed some LED foglights from the ijdm site. Fairly easy install but they maybe too bright, if there is such a thing. Will try for a while. Thank again for your help.

Larz

You're quite welcome! Glad to be of help.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”