Electric Superchargers Friend? Or Foe?

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
DeVilleL13
Car: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE

I see these electric superchargers on e-gay everywhere for some time now. I would never put this thing on but, it got me thinking would this really make that much of a difference. Now I'm thinking if you put it as close to the intake would this thing really make a big enough increase to be worth buying? At $29-$32 it's fairly cheap and if it you got better MPG's then in theory it works.

Now heres my problem, at a 3 amp pull it's a slow motor (5+ amp maybe nicer) and a low 2-3 psi boost that is running all the time, with no increase with the RPM's. Now at 2-3 psi through the whole RPM range steady. Would you only see a gain at 4500 to 6500? And would you lose low RPM power? Cause it would suck to lose power in the driving range.

Now I've looked through a ton a feed backs from e-gay and they all say the same crap "GREAT BUY" and "FAST DELIVERY" with nothing to say about the product or if it works. Anyone who has one of these do you really think it has lived up to the clams or is it a piece of e-gay trash to sell?

willievo
Car: 1995 Nissan Altima

well to be honest imo i wouldnt waste money in that

matzinm2
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima GXE totaled, 1989 S13 Hatchback, 1988 FC vert exploded. 1991 s13 LE with leather and AC working!

I spent $250 on mine and got the K&N intake with it. It worked great for a day or so. But heres the catch, they give you a little resistor right, that they say "tricks" the car into thinking there is more air coming into the engine, which gives it more fuel, this is true, because there IS more air flowing in, 2 lbs of boost as an estimate. HOWEVER, since you "don't have to retune your engine" for it (bullsh!t), when this resistor tricks your MAF sensor, it thinks there is a whole lot of air coming into the engine; and bam! open loop fuel cycle, I was getting thirteen miles a gallon all day and I got the black streak up my bumper that those awesome hondas get when overfueling. It was a fun experiment at best, car had a bunch more power, but the sacrifice... I'm happy I got the intake with it tho! So there you go.

matzinm2
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima GXE totaled, 1989 S13 Hatchback, 1988 FC vert exploded. 1991 s13 LE with leather and AC working!

[edit] Just as an added answer to your question, 1. my supercharger was hooked up to a switch, so it was not on all the time. 2. It is a supercharger, so you're going to get more low end torque, at least this is what i experienced, a sort of wimpy version of the jerk-you-back into your seat that you feel with real superchargers. 3. I saw less of a gain, probably even a bog down around 5000-6000 RPM. 4. I wouldn't buy it again, but it was a kick.

01NismoAltima
Car: 2001 Altima

It is all BS.. you will be hindering airflow, and ultimately loose power rather than gaining...

The e-bay resistors are also BS, Altima have a MAF. they will do nothing. the purpose is trick the ecu into thinking that the air is denser and therefore adding more fuel.. Sadly, altimas already run rich, and if the resistor did work, it would make you loose power...

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”