Electric fans

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
johnsharpe
Car: Car, Motorcycles, technology

Sorry for the duplicate, but I can't find anything on the search with a 3 letter word...<ugh>

I know people have done this...what kit did you buy and where'd you get it? Any mail/web order places?

Thanks and sorry for the spam!

John

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

I can't recall the brand name of my fans.... but I ordered them from NAPA auto parts. It'a a dual 10" setup... not sure how legit the wiring I did was... I just cut the wires to the stock electric fan, and spliced in the new wires. It mounted very easily, and works great. Most auto parts stores have catalogs with them, NAPA has over 10 pages full of choices... from single, dual, and tripple... as low as 8" all the way to over 20"... some were available in different colors. etc. etc.... sorry the brand isn't even marked on the fan...

johnsharpe
Car: Car, Motorcycles, technology

maineimport wrote:I can't recall the brand name of my fans.... but I ordered them from NAPA auto parts. It'a a dual 10" setup... not sure how legit the wiring I did was... I just cut the wires to the stock electric fan, and spliced in the new wires.
Hmm, Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention that I've got a 91 with a stock mechanical fan...no electrics.

I guess I'd need a conversion kit?

Sorry!John

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

Well... the 95 had the original clutch-fan assembly, then a smaller electric fan inside the shroud. I took both out. But, the after-market kit came with universal wiring, and a thermostat that you would put into the coolant lines. I just tossed that stuff and figured the stock wiring was already set with a thermostat. Works fine so far. Most of the after-market fans have wiring and thermostat included... I think.

trpower7

Flex-A-Lite makes some great products, relatively cheap too. I bought their top of the line BlackMagic fan for my MKIII Supra, and it worked great. They have a built in thermostat that you just put between the radiator fins, I have found it works better than the stock one. Usually you can grab a dual 10' setup for less than $150, and you can just remove the old stock mechanical and electric and splice in the new one. This way it will kick on with the stock wiring AND the auxiliary thermostat.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”