Electric Cooling Fan Not Shutting Off

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Mark67
Car: 07 Nissan Frontier 4.0 Nismo

I have an 07 Frontier Nismo King Cab w/6cyl 4.0L VQ40DE motor. This past summer at 111,000 miles the strawberry milkshake effect invaded my truck.

After cleaning the cooling system, replacing the water pump, radiator, upper and lower radiator hoses, coolant temperature sensor and spark plugs I am left with one problem.

The issue is that the electric fan never shuts off.
I’m not saying it’s always on from the moment I start the truck but just never shuts off. All is good until it reaches the operating temp for the fan to come on which I believe is around 195 degrees but then never shuts off. Temp gauge is in the normal position and I connected my obd code reader to it to study the live data and shows it cools down to 186 degrees which should be low enough to shut it off but again it just keeps running. It is cycling between low and high speeds as it should but mostly is running in the high cycle. I replaced the fan clutch as it seemed a little loose but didn’t make any difference the fan is always on after it reaches normal operating temperature. My Frontier never had this issue before the strawberry milkshake effect. Also it makes no difference whether the air conditioner is on or not.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”