EGRC solenoid valve, Altima GXE, 2.4L, 2001

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
awbazar
Car: Nissan Altima GXE, 2.4L, model year 2001

I have a P1400 DTC on a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE, 2001, 2.4L DOHC engine and all factory service manual checks indicate that the ECM is not taking pin 103 to ground during a quick engine rev in heat up mode from idle to 3K rpm. My last guess is that although the EGRC solenoid valve does shift when connected to the battery directly and the A, B, and C ports correctly respond (bench test), that the coil resistance may be too low. It measures 34 ohms and I have seen other postings which have indicated that it should be more like 50 ohms. Can anyone tell me what the correct coil resistance should be? Unlike many other factory service procedures, the ballpark coil resistance is not shown for this item. This component is also mysteriouly not commonly supplied at parts stores and is claimed to be a dealer supplied part...probably to rake in more $$$$. One list price I viewed was $114.92 YIKES!

The only other prospect if this coil is still actually good is that the ECM output is not switching and taking the coil to ground to actuate it due to a bad output device or the proper inputs to the ECM are not satisfied to trigger the output device. If P1400 is only displayed when something is wrong in the EGRC solenoid valve circuit and the ECM self-protects and does not switch the output device, then I am lead to believe that the EGRC solenoid valve is too low in resistance and the ECM does not like to see that particular current load.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Sorry for missing this! With a question this technical, you might have better luck over in the KA24DE engine forums. I usually direct guys with KA altimas over there, because the engine is also in the 240SX, so there are some pretty serious gearheads over there that have probably had experience with this.

Either way, welcome to NICO! Good luck with your repair.

awbazar

Hello XenonSE-R,
Thank you for the tip about moving to the engine forums. I'll give it a shot.

awbazar

awbazar

P1400 EGRC Solenoid Valve Circuit Malfunction, 2001 Nissan Altima GXE, 2.4 L
(My last entry here and moving to the 240SX forum as suggested)

I exhausted the checks on the EGRC solenoid valve circuit finding all wiring in tact and the solenoid valve of proper value around 30 to 35 ohms. I had to go to a Nissan dealer and measure the resistance of one off the shelf at the counter since I could not find it elsewhere. I was hoping that it would be significantly different from the 34 ohms of the one on my car. Not so!

Now, having exhausted the solenoid valve circuit itself, the only remaining prospects seem to be either the output stage of the ECM is not taking the EGRC solenoid coil to ground to turn it on, the proper input variables to the ECM not present, or the manner/logic/program in which the ECM produces an output is not taking place.

Having described this situation to the Nissan dealer technician, he related a virtually identical scenario and indicated that when they run into this, they have used complex scanning tools than the simple code reader and do a rather extensive procedure which I could only do with the equipment which I don’t have to do it. He deduced that it was either an ECM problem or some peculiar input issue.

If anyone has any advice on how to narrow this down any more, I have basically done the Factory Service Manual procedure which did not get into ECM or input issues at all.

The ECM sees the output circuit and I know it since I get a P1400 pending if I disconnect the EGRC solenoid valve without even running the engine and then do a READ. The ECM knows that the circuit is open circuited but it may not know if its own output transistor is not switching when told to do so which grounds the EGRC solenoid valve turning it on and shifting its valve spool when the other right inputs are received.

No advice here will be taken lightly! It’s either new ideas to try or off to the dealer. GEEZ! I hate when that happens. It seems like the cowardly way out but I just don’t have the gadgetry to get much further. I’d love to see the circuits for the ECM if they even exist. I do have the pinout information on the ECM but I can’t tell what inputs actually have anything to do with the EGRC solenoid valve being taken to ground other than general ideas from this article similar to my problem which begins on page 3...”CASE STUDY”
http://www.vcertt.org/news/11-02.pdf

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”